Job Type: Apprenticeship
Duration: Full-time March/April/May to end of October 2016 with possibility of winter work
Application Deadline: Rolling, open until filled
Fullers Overlook Farm, Inc. is a diverse farm located in beautiful Waverly, PA, overlooking the Endless Mountains. We are committed to locally grown resilient and restorative agriculture, and follow all organic farming practices. The farm is going into its third year of operation, looking to build a strong farm community. Overlook has 5 acres of annual vegetable cultivation, 5 acres in cover crop, greenhouses for year round production, mushroom production, egg layers, broilers, pigs, and an apiary, as well as beds for cut flowers. They have a CSA, sell at local farmers markets, and supply several wholesale accounts.
The goal of the apprenticeship is to immerse the applicants with an educational experience of starting up a small-scale farm through participation in all aspects of farming. This includes but is not limited to feeding and care of livestock, processing broilers, greenhouse management, seed propagation, transplanting, weeding, hand cultivation, harvest, and marketing the product. Since this is a relatively new operation, tasks will vary greatly and the apprentices will have a unique opportunity to experience all aspects of a new production farm. Apprentices will also have the opportunity to partake in a monthly reading discussion, to further dive into different aspects of farming. There is also 2-3 off farm educational field trips per season.
Fullers Overlook Farm is seeking motivated farmers with a genuine passion for agriculture, a desire to learn, and the ability to perform the following tasks:
- Ability to work 40-55 hours per week, including weekend work
- Previous farming experience is not necessary, but agricultural interest, enthusiasm, and hard work are a must!
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to lift 50-80 lbs. and perform strenuous physical tasks
- Work long hours in all weather conditions, while maintaining a positive attitude
- Driver’s license with a clean driving record
Apprentices will be paid at the rate of $7.25 an hour; taxes, a $300 charge for housing (utilities and internet included) and other required withholdings will be taken out each month. Additionally, apprentices will have access to farm produce. No pets.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply by sending the following materials to Liz Krug at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter stating interest in the position and applicable experiences/skills
- Three references (including name, relationship/job title, telephone number, email)