Open Harvest Coop Grocery
Available Position: General Manager
Open Harvest Coop Grocery has been serving Lincoln, NE as a leader in the organic and natural foods market for 40 years. We are seeking a General Manager to steer us through the increasingly competitive market and lead the success and continued growth of our store. We are looking for a candidate that embraces Cooperative Principles, is passionate about local food and economies, and has a strong work ethic and personal integrity.
Lincoln has a vibrant local food and farming community, and as a coop, we support local producers with nearly 30% of our annual sales coming from local products. Open Harvest is owned by 2,800+ members, is governed by an elected board of directors, and exceeds $4 million in annual sales.
The General Manager is responsible for meeting organizational goals as established through the board’s governing system, Policy Governance. The primary duties and responsibilities of the General Manager include general operations, planning, finance, personnel, and reporting.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Experience in a senior management position or as a general manager at a retail grocery or food coop.
- Experience with operating, capital, and cash budgeting.
- Ability to handle multiple demands, delegate tasks, empower staff, and make difficult decisions. Strategic planning experience, including the ability to recognize growth opportunities, impact and maintain financial stability, assess viability and build alignment for visioning and decision making.
- Ability to build and motivate management teams, be proactive, and keep momentum going for growth and change.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- Strong understanding of bottomline accountability in a business.
- Experience selling in a highly competitive market.
- Passion for and an understanding of natural and organic foods, including a knowledge of current trends in the industry.
- Values that align with Cooperative Principles.
- Experience working for or serving on a board of directors.
- Ability to present information clearly to the board, staff, media, and general community.
Open Harvest is located in the Near South neighborhood in the heart of Lincoln, NE. As a city, we pride ourselves on being one of the friendliest in the country. We have been named the Happiest City in America, in addition to one of the most affordable, best in wellbeing, and Top 100 Best Places to Live. We have more than 130 miles of walking and bike trails, and more park land within the city than just about anywhere else. You will find heart, community, and culture here in this vibrant university town.
Benefits: Vacation, sick and funeral leave, group health and dental insurance, long term disability and life insurance, and discount on store purchases. Salary commensurate with experience. Application Process: Applicants should submit a resume with a letter of interest summarizing your management experience to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Open Harvest Coop Grocery, Attn: Board Chair, 1618 South St, Lincoln, NE 68502. If you have questions, please email Brande Payne, Board Chair at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.