Half Moon Bay, California
SUBJECT: TUNITAS CREEK RANCH HIRING TEAM MEMBERS FOR 2016 SEASON
Tunitas Creek Ranch is a 120-acre diversified (soon to be certified organic) farming and ranching property on the beautiful San Mateo coast 20 minutes south of the town of Half Moon Bay. This will be the second season building a new organic farming, ranching, and local food model. Of the 120 acres, approximately 10 are currently in pasture that is being converted into intensive organic vegetable production, .5 acres are mixed fruit orchards, 40 acres are eucalyptus forest, and the remainder is horticultural gardens and wild land. The organic production system uses multicolored plasticulture, season extension techniques, climate modification through the use of high and low tunnels, and other regenerative agriculture practices. The animals are a key component of the operation: goats, pigs, and chickens supply manure for compost, as well as build soil fertility through management intensive grazing. We raise pigs in our 40 acres of eucalyptus forest (an invasive species) where they help us control the spread of the eucalyptus through their natural rooting. We also raise pastured egg layers and meat birds, which we slaughter and process on the farm.
We are looking for two hard working, fun loving, and passionate team members to work on all aspects of the ranch for the 2016 season. Tentatively the season will run from March to Thanksgiving; however, start and end dates are flexible. For those who excel there may be the opportunity to come back for the 2017 season in a more permanent capacity. This is a great opportunity to further one’s farming career by being intimately involved in all aspects of an intensive and inventive organic farming and ranching operation. Come gain experience and knowledge, while doing the hard yet gratifying work of farming.
- 1 to 2 seasons of organic field and greenhouse experience
- Farmers market and or other direct to consumer sales experience
- Hard working and physically fit with the ability to lift 50lbs repetitively
- Experience with drip irrigation
- Experience in the safe operation of small engine equipment (weedeaters, chainsaws, etc.)
- Experience with animal husbandry (pigs, chickens, and goats) is desired but not necessary
- Spanish language skills are a plus
- Clean DMV required
- Tractor driving experience a plus but not required. You will be given the opportunity to learn safe equipment operation
- Basic construction and plumbing experience a plus
- Positive outlook, happy, and energetic
- Passionate about organic farming, local food production, cooking, and eating
- Detail oriented, tidy, and organized
- Self motivated with the ability to work unsupervised and within a small team
- Serious interest in pursuing a career in organic farming
- Work on all aspects of diversified vegetable operation: greenhouse transplant production, seeding, applying plastic mulch and amendments, installing and maintaining drip irrigation, planting, weeding, harvesting, and post harvest handling
- Work in orchards: pruning, thinning, and harvesting
- Direct to consumer sales: Farmers Markets, deliveries to restaurants, small specialty markets, and grocery stores
- Work with all animals (pigs, chickens, and goats): Feeding, watering, herding, milking, moving electric fencing, moving pastured poultry pens, and on farm pastured poultry processing
- Property infrastructure improvement projects and maintenance: light construction, landscape maintenance of insectary gardens and property residences, water system improvement and repair, fence repair, equipment maintenance, and general ranch maintenance
Schedule: 40-55 hours per week peak season, evenings and weekends as needed. Schedule will vary depending on the workload; however, you will get 1-1.5 days off per week.
Compensation: Hourly, wage depending on experience.
Housing is available, as well as food from the property.
There are numerous recreational opportunities on the ranch and in the area, from hiking and mountain biking trails to beaches and surf breaks. The San Mateo Coast also has a vibrant organic farming community, with frequent gatherings and social opportunities.
How to Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Jeff at Jrussell1620@gmail.com. Application review begins immediately. The positions are open until filled.