Santa Cruz, California
Farm and Garden Operations Assistant Position Available at CASFS, UC Santa Cruz Farm
The Center for Agroecology & Sustainable Food Systems (CASFS) at UC Santa Cruz is hiring an Operations Assistant. See the job summary and qualifications, below.
For information on specific job duties and to apply, see the UCSC Employment site, www.ucsc.edu/about/employment.html. Click on the Staff Employment link and choose Search Postings (in the upper left-hand bar). Enter the job number #1506118. Select “View” under the Job Title: Farm and Garden Operations Assistant to see details.
The initial review date for the position is January 26, 2016.
Under the general supervision of the Center for Agroecology & Sustainable Food Systems (CASFS) Assistant Director, the incumbent will plan and perform a variety of skilled manual tasks, general agricultural systems operations, and facilities maintenance and prioritization. The incumbent will identify, plan, estimate and implement general farm building and infrastructure maintenance and improvements including: irrigation systems, buildings, tillage implements, the farm shop, and maintenance of all farm small equipment.
Qualifications / Competencies
- Able to work independently.
- Experience working with and coordinating with others; i.e. students, interns, and volunteers to effectively accomplish maintenance tasks.
- Demonstrated experience to operate a farm tractor and associated farm implements and equipment.
- Skilled in carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and welding.
- Working knowledge of organic farming systems.
- Experience with pest control.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities effectively.
Preferred Qualifications / Competencies
- Minimum two years’ experience working in landscape and/or facilities maintenance.
- Minimum of one years’ apiculture experience maintaining hives, implementing honey extraction and marketing.