Our Table is a cooperative of farmers, producers and consumers working together to create a community based food system. The farm is located 20 miles south of Portland and grows produce for our on-farm grocery and kitchen as well as for CSA, restaurants and small grocery stores in and around the greater Portland area. We grow vegetables year-round and are looking for individuals to join our crew!
We are hiring for full-time, hourly positions from April through October (with possibility to extend) to support vegetable production at the farm. We are looking for individuals who are self-motivated, detail oriented, fast learners and motivated to streamline workflow. Ideal candidates have fun working alone and in a group. The work is mostly physical, but requires a sharp mind, good judgment, great sense of humor and love of vegetable(s) puns. Folks with prior farm experience are encouraged to apply, but we will also consider qualified candidates with no prior experience. Several of the farm crew live in Portland and try to carpool as much as possible.
Employees will be able to participate in farm dinners, a variety of projects at the co-op and connect with other farms. There is opportunity for expanding roles and responsibilities.
- Work will include, but not be limited to, harvesting, packing, cultivating, transplanting, greenhouse propagation, bed preparation and fertility work, irrigating, composting and clean-up.
- Work may include deliveries and occasional driving off farm.
- Other duties, as necessary.
- Detail oriented and fast learner.
- Self-motivated and able to streamline workflow.
- Ability to work efficiently alone or in a group.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to keep clear, handwritten and electronic records.
- Positive attitude in all types of weather.
- Willingness to participate in a startup environment where it will be necessary to wear many “hats” at different times.
- Commitment to work entire season (with potential for unpaid vacation time).
- 1-2 years of prior farm work.
- Sense of humor.
- Strong love of food, nutrition and healthy local economies.
- Experience driving a large delivery van.
- Organized and thorough.
- Ability to ride a bike.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to sit or stand, bend, climb and reach.
- Regularly lift up to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions, often for long durations.
- Capable of performing repetitive tasks with endurance.
Employment starts in April 2016
Working Hours: During 2016, this will be an hourly position working Monday – Friday with an average of 40 hours per week. Hours vary but are generally 7-3:30 or 8-4:30 depending on the season.
Reports to: Jen Tobener & Eric Harvey, Farm Managers Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Candidates should write a short cover letter explaining their interest in the position and email it email@example.com accompanied by a resume and three contacts for references. Short-listed candidates will need to travel to the farm for a site visit and interviews at their own expense. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
The job duties, responsibilities, requirements, conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Our Table Cooperative reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of the business change.
Our Table Cooperative provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.