Job listing: FT Crew Leader, Hillsboro (Portland area) Oregon. Stoneboat Farm
Stoneboat Farm is hiring a full time crew leader. Come work on a fun, mixed-vegetable, transitional, production farm.
We grow familiar and unique vegetables for restaurants, our on-farm CSA, and farmers markets. We raise and process free-range turkeys for Thanksgiving. Our team of Belgian horses do about half the field work on the farm. Our pair of Maremma/Great Pyrenees do very little. We have 30 acres with seven acres in veggie production, long and short term rotations that include our turkeys and draft horses, and are expanding into perennials and a small orchard.
This is our second year on our new land so we are still working out a lot of growing and organizational systems. We are looking for an employee who really knows vegetable production and has experience on professional farms. As the only full-time employee, the right person can help us improve our farming and have a good deal of input on how the farm is and will be run. Got good ideas and want to be listened to? Get in on the ground floor with Stoneboat Farm!
The job starts in mid-March and runs through mid-November. Stoneboat offers a competitive living wage, free lunch on harvest days, and as many free vegetables as you’ll eat. We don’t have housing available on farm but we are only 20 minutes from downtown Portland, ten minutes from Hillsboro. Get the convenience of living in a city and the fun of working on a farm!
Responsibilities include but aren’t limited to:
- working solo, working with the owners, or managing a small crew of employees and interns
- Having good ideas on how to grow and care for vegetables and communicating them!
- Following a general farm plan and being able to make decisions when appropriate.
- work includes: some tractor work, transplanting, harvest, post-harvest, seeding, cultivation, turkey care, and general farm work.
- Reporting on the daily and weekly work that you and your team accomplish
- 3 years of mixed vegetable experience on a professional production farm required
- Experience working with organic agriculture and organic/ sustainable management practices
- Candidates with management experience will be preferred
- Spanish proficiency strongly preferred
- Able and willing to do physical farm tasks such as harvest, lugging totes, pounding t-posts, hand cultivation, and stoop labor. This is primarily a physical, working farm job.
- Familiarity with tractor work
- Willingness and ability to help design and improve farm systems
- Willingness to help train interns and part-time employees
- Willing to have fun and work hard while at work!
- See our work, values and projects online (com).
- Send an e-mail with a resume and short cover letter to email@example.com. Put “Crew leader job” in the subject line of the e-mail.