2016 FARM INTERNSHIPS
↠ Applications have REOPENED ↞
The Lyons Farmette is many things. We grow vegetables, flowers, and herbs on less than 1 acre of land, employing intensive organic methods. In 2016, we will provide food for about 60 CSA members. We are a full-service florist for local wedding venues, and we hope to expand into other flower markets. We keep 3 hives of bees. We hold workshops and classes on topics ranging from home canning and chicken keeping to cooking, photography, and art. We keep alpacas, chickens, and a big llama. We host farm-to-table dinners with local chefs to benefit non-profit organizations. We also host up to 120 weddings per season between our two venues, the Farmette and River Bend. As an intern, you can be involved in all these aspects of the Farmette.
As an intern during the 2016 season, you will work alongside the farm manager and other staff, with specific responsibilities of vegetable and flower production, livestock care, landscaping, social media and print marketing, venue prep, and event staffing. We focus on farm-to-table events at this farm; therefore, most of the work we do caters to that business plan. A typical busy workday might include a morning planting radishes or lettuce in the field or hoophouse, taking an afternoon break, and then serving at a wedding or dinner in the evening. You will work with 5-6 full time staff, 2-3 other interns, and the occasional volunteer. Our most successful interns have been emotionally stable, hard-working people who constantly seek to enrich their experience here. You should be willing to learn new skills, solve your own problems, and be proactive about the work that needs to be done every day.
- Available May 1st to October 15, 2016
- Valid driver’s license
- Health insurance coverage through duration of internship
- 40 hours per week, spread over 5 total work days
- Outdoor work, sometimes in cold or hot weather.
- Physical ability to squat, bend over, lift up to 30 lbs, and work quickly and efficiently. Work can at times be strenuous and uncomfortable.
- Early start times: 6 AM in hotter months.
- Availability to staff farm weddings, dinners, and other events, as this is a vital aspect of our business.
- Interest in flower production and arranging.
Accommodations: On-site housing is available in an Airstream trailer. You have access to an outdoor kitchen and the use of an indoor bathroom and shower.
- $250 monthly grocery allowance (before taxes)
- Unlimited attendance at workshops
- Farm produce for personal use
- The multitude of benefits that come from living on an organic farm
Additional income opportunities are available for interns who staff weddings and dinners.
*If you are looking to fulfill an internship requirement for school or another organization, we will work with you to fulfill any requirements set by your advisor.
Explore our website and social media to get acquainted with the Farmette.
If you have further questions about our internships, please contact Garrison.