Heritage Prairie Farm, a leader in organic farming with 10 acres in cultivation, seeks an experienced Farm Manager.
Our Farm manager is responsible for all aspects of tractor work, record keeping, detailed vegetable cultivation, training and general staff management, where we have a diversity of crops growing.
We need a person who is motivated by responsibility as well as by the pace, pressure and vagaries of farming in Northern Illinois. Perspective and a good sense of humor are preferred.
At Heritage Prairie Farm, we grow for several markets — CSA, wholesale, and retail. We are dedicated to producing a high-quality product and the success of that begins with good cultivation.
Candidates should have:
- At least five years’ experience farming
- At least two years in a management position on a farm
- Previous experience on an organic vegetable farm
- Experience with a variety of tractors and implements
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Experience with USDA Organic and USDA GAP certifications preferred
In this role, you’ll be in charge of developing and overseeing daily production tasks for crews. This position is part of the core leadership, you’ll be required to attend monthly meetings and work with the leadership team to create a positive, supportive culture for everyone who works on the farm team.
Other responsibilities include:
- Help assess staffing needs and hours through the season
- Keep all records (inputs, actuals, etc.) up to date and organized
- Manage scheduling of and participate in irrigation and frost protection
- Keep inventory of supplies
- Crop Planning
- Grow sales by securing new customers
- Coordinate machinery maintenance and repair
- Oversee upkeep of greenhouses and tunnels, and care for plants inside
- Management of crop growing tasks including: field prep, propagation, planting, cultivation, irrigation, pest management, harvest and packing
The compensation package includes a competitive hourly rate; paid time off; bonus; cell phone reimbursement; year-round access to our vegetables.
Applicants may send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org