Brookwood Community Farm Manager Job Description 2016
Brookwood Community Farm is a non-profit farming operation and education center in Milton, MA. Brookwood Community Farm (BCF) was founded in 2006 with the goals of restoring underutilized farmland near Boston, strengthening the local food system, and addressing the urgent need for access to healthy food in low-income neighborhoods of Boston. With the belief that one unified approach can help address the two problems of farmland loss and access to healthy foods, Brookwood returned to production a historic sheep farm just three miles from Boston. From one acre of land under cultivation in 2006, the farm has expanded to cultivate eight acres using organic practices and operate a 300-person Community Supported Agriculture program. Brookwood also provides on-farm educational, volunteer and employment opportunities to area youth and adults, and distributes approximately 15% of our annual produce harvested to hunger relief and food justice programs. Brookwood just celebrated its 10th growing season, and we are looking for a rockstar farm manager to come take the farm to the next level.
Our Farm Manager will have general responsibility for running our three fields and two greenhouses in Milton, MA and Canton, MA. In 2016 we will operate on approximately 8 acres. Our Farm Manager will be charged with developing short and long term plans as well as overseeing and participating in daily farming operations. The farm manager will coordinate with other staff on volunteer, education and food justice programs. This position is part of our leadership team working under the direction of our Executive Director. Tasks include but not limited to:
- Creating and executing an annual crop plan for the CSA, one weekly farmers market, pantry donations and other food access programs.
- Leading all farming operations including staff schedules, organizing workloads, and harvest schedule
- Providing financial oversight for farming operations.
- Managing equipment maintenance and acquisition.
- Enforcement of health and safety requirements.
- Hiring, training and supervision of year round and seasonal staff.
- Running our Annual Plant Sale.
- Overseeing management of staffing and sales
- Other tasks and responsibilities as directed by the Executive
Qualified applicants will:
- Have interest and commitment Brookwood’s overall mission and purpose
- Have at least 4 years farming experience, with at least 1 year in a management position.
- Have experience with a variety of tractors and implements and be able to lift 50 lbs.
- be an excellent communicator with previous leadership experience.
To learn more about Brookwood Community Farm, please visit our website at www.brookwoodcommunityfarm.org. Brookwood will offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Brookwood Community Farm provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
To apply send letter of interest including previous experience with farming methods, crops and machinery along with your resume via e-mail to Susan DeMinico, Executive Director at email@example.com . Only qualified applicants will be contacted.