Date Posted: February 16, 2016
Position Title: DeLano Farm Crew Member
Immediate Supervisor: Lucy Reese, DeLano Farm Manager
Category: Temporary (both full-time and part-time)
Benefits Eligible? No
Mission Statement: The Kalamazoo Nature Center is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to inspire people to care for the environment by providing experiences that lead them to understand their connection to the natural world.
Philosophy: Each member of the Kalamazoo Nature Center team is expected to actively support the KNC mission of connecting people to nature while representing the customer care standards which reflect the professionalism of our organization.
Summary of Position: DeLano Farms is entering its sixth season of production at the Kalamazoo Nature Center, with a goal of feeding 100 CSA member families and donating surplus local organizations. Crew members will work as a team under the leadership of the Farm Manager to run the day-to-day operations of DeLano Farms, performing all tasks involved in vegetable production, harvest and distribution. According to interest, Crew member may also spend a limited amount of time each week tending to animals and assisting with educational programs.
The weekly work schedule will vary throughout the season, depending on day light hours, tasks to be completed, and weather. Crew members will be expected to be available 8-10 hours per day, beginning as early as 6 AM during the heat of the season or as late as 8:30 AM in the early spring and fall. Every effort will be made to announce schedule changes at least one week in advance but this position does require a high degree of flexibility and dedication. There will be an hour long break every day for lunch. Specific responsibilities and schedules will vary depending on season, requirement, skills, and interest level. Some weekend work may be required.
Crew members will be offered $8.50/hour and a weekly farm share (approximately $350 value). Limited, on-site, cooperative housing is also available. All staff will be provided with, and expected to wear, KNC uniform t-shirts.
Please understand that this position requires heavy physical labor in all weather conditions. Preference will be given to applicants who have experience working outside and/or performing tasks that require bending and lifting. This is not an internship, and although we will learn a lot along the way, learning for learning’s sake is not a priority.
- All basic farm tasks including cultivating, harvesting, irrigating, washing and packing produce, seeding, transplanting, weeding, and other field chores as needed;
- Provide excellent customer assistance and education about the farm;
- Either a full or a half day each week spent with Farm Educator helping with programming;
- Safe, responsible use of equipment and facilities;
- Work effectively and cooperatively with other KNC staff;
- Complete special projects as assigned by the DeLano Farms Manager
- Love and appreciation for good food;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain good nature and work ethic in all weather conditions;
- Strong work ethic;
- Ability to work quickly, multi-task and be flexible on a daily basis;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in and dress appropriately for all weather conditions;
- Initiative and ability to prioritize and complete tasks without direct supervision;
- Ability to cheerfully follow directions;
- An inclination toward efficiency and problem solving;
- Physical strength to perform repetitive, heavy and light manual labor;
- Desire to positively, actively contribute to a growing farm community
We value diversity in the workplace and are committed to the recruitment, retention, and development of a workforce that reflects the society in which we live. We encourage applications from candidates representing diverse backgrounds.
The Kalamazoo Nature Center is an equal opportunity organization that will not discriminate in its programs or hiring practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, height, weight, sexual orientation or gender identity, marital status, or political affiliation.
To Apply: Send a letter detailing your interest in this position, your experience and your hourly and seasonal availability along with a current resume and three references to Lucy Reese at email@example.com.
The deadline to submit applications is: We will accept applications through the beginning of the farm season. Please submit your application as soon as possible.