2016 Summer Camp Opportunity
Ag/ Environmental Day Camp Counselor
Description: Hart-to-Hart Farm Day Camp is seeking a qualified individual to partner with director to develop, plan and teach sustainable environmental/ agricultural lessons. Counselor works with campers’ ages 5 – 13 years of age in an outdoor organic farm setting. Goal: have fun while making a difference in the lives of many young people through positive interaction.
Site Description: The camp is located on a 285-acre sustainable organic dairy farm in Albion, Maine. Site includes historic barn, out buildings for chickens, goats, sheep, horses, rabbits and a free stall barn which is home to 130 dairy cows. Scenic pastures, organic gardens and orchard, ponds, wetlands, forest, and farm provide and idea camp setting to explore environmental / sustainable agricultural lessons.
- Assist in designing and leading daily “hands-on”, inquiry based programs. Topics include but not limited to insects, birds, soil science, gardening, freshwater ecology, wetland ecology, forest ecology, animal care and feeding, sustainability, history, art, cooking. Topics taught through exploration, games, art, songs and stories.
- Attend staff trainings and meetings.
- Participate in prepping classroom area, animal care, gardening, and farm related task. Day starts at 7:00 am with set up. Ends around 5:00 pm or when prep work finished for the next day. One overnight outing with campers attending Farm Extravaganza (ages 11-13).
- Participate in 3 family programs.
- Creative, enthusiastic, team player, flexible, excellent communication skills, a good sense of humor and an excellent role model
- A willingness to get dirty, hike, work with farm animals and dig in the garden
- Understanding of and knowledge in sustainable farming and the environment education/natural history (strengths can be in one or the other)
- Previous camp or related experience working with youth ages 5-13 in an outdoor setting
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Completed 1 st year of college or alternative program / experience
Date: June 9 th – August 18th (10 weeks, including 1 1/2 wks of staff training) *Opportunity to come earlier & help with general farm work (Call for more info)
Compensation: $3000 plus room & board (additional pay based on education and experience)
Deadline: April 20th or Closed when filled
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and three references to Linda Hartkopf, Director, Hart-to-Hart Farm & Education Center, 16 Duck Pond Land, Albion, ME 04910 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.