Organic Farm Hand
The Farm Hand will be working at the Chatham Bars Inn Farm, located on Route 6A in Brewster. This facility produces high quality organic vegetables for use at several restaurants located at the Chatham Bars Inn resort in Chatham, MA. Candidates with a strong passion for sustainable agriculture and experience farming are preferred. This position will provide the right candidate with a hands-on opportunity to experience and master nearly every aspect of organic vegetable production.
The Farm Hand is responsible for but not limited to:
- Harvesting, transplanting, weeding, pruning, trellising, thinning, managing irrigation systems, and pest control
- Some tractor and rototiller work will be required for soil preparation and cultivation
- Post-harvest operations will include sorting, washing, bunching of harvested crops, quality control, and packing/storage responsibilities
- Transport and delivery of farm products will also be required
- Greenhouse operations will entail but are not limited to seeding, potting-up, irrigation, pest control, and fertility management.
- Previous farm hand experience preferred
- Demonstrates passion for sustainable/organic agriculture
- Ability to maintain a professional attitude and neat appearance
- Follow direction well
- Strong attention to detail and organization
- Must enjoy working with plants and produce
- Ability to multi-task
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team setting
- Ability to work under challenging ergonomic conditions, including work that requires frequent crouching, bending and kneeling.
- Ability to regularly lift loads of 50 pounds or more
- Must be able to work outside in all climates
- Valid Driver’s License is required
This is a full-time, extended-seasonal position, averaging 40 hours per week. Candidates will be expected to have flexibility in terms of scheduling. Growing season hours may start as early as 5:30 AM.