Boston Public Market Shopkeeper
Year-round (Full-time and Part-time Positions Available)
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 25,000+ acres on more than 100 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 40,000 members.
In the summer of 2015, the Boston Public Market opened as a permanent, year-round, self-sustaining market featuring fresh food sourced from New England. The Appleton Farms shop offers grass-fed Massachusetts milk and yogurt, and almost 100 cheeses from 17 different farms across the Commonwealth.
Summary of Position:
The shopkeeper works in The Appleton Farms shop at the Boston Public Market, which opened in July 2015 and sells cheese, yogurt, milk and accoutrements. In addition to supporting the shop’s dedicated volunteers, educating visitors about local dairy, and executing daily retail operations, the Shopkeeper is an ambassador for the Trustees in Boston. He/she will support the organization’s goal to connect people to land and nature through local food. This is a year-round position (full and part-time opportunities available).
Day-to-day shop operations, including:
- Offering friendly, knowledgeable and respectful customer service
- Educating customers about Booth products, Appleton Farms, the Massachusetts Cheese Guild, and The Trustees
- Coordinating and supporting the work of volunteers (“Cheese Ambassadors”) involved in shop operations
- Cutting, wrapping, sampling, weighing & selling cheese
- Maintaining high standards of cleanliness and food safety at all times
- Ensuring products are effectively and appealingly displayed
- Maintaining shelves and displays, including stocking and pricing
- Operating the booth’s point-of-sales (POS) system and cash drawer, including processing and reconciling transactions (cash, credit, SNAP/EBT, returns and refunds)
- Promoting/selling Trustees memberships
- Opening and or closing shop for the day
- Helping Shop Manager manage product inventory by receiving deliveries
- Maintaining a solid working knowledge of retail trends, especially related to cheese, yogurt and other dairy products; monitoring competitor activities and offerings; tracking customer requests/needs; contributing to strategic development of the shop
- Other duties as assigned, with or without accommodation
- Retail food experience preferred.
- Experience selling cheese and/or yogurt a plus.
- Previous ServSafe and Allergen Awareness training and certification desired.
- Proficiency in knife handling and understanding of proper cheese cutting technique preferred.
- Strong customer focus with demonstrated commitment to and understanding of customer service.
- Outgoing, friendly demeanor; willingness to engage in conversation beyond “May I help you?”
- Demonstrated passion for local food, especially cheese and yogurt.
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented.
- Entrepreneurial team player with a positive attitude and outgoing personality.
- Strong written and verbal communications; ability to explain concepts clearly and compellingly.
- Must be comfortable interacting with the public, staff and volunteers, including in difficult situations.
- Knowledge of cheese, yogurt, milk and dairy farming a plus; demonstrated desire to become an expert on these topics is a must.
- The booth’s operating hours will mirror the Boston Public Market’s (Wednesday-Sunday, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM). Ability to work weekends and evenings required.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
Full-time employees are eligible for The Trustees benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, vacation, sick and personal time, as well as the option to participate in our 401(k) and 529 savings plans.
No phone calls please.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.