Reports to: Lead Pastor
Hours: 8-month Seasonal Salaried Position
Supervises: CSA Volunteers
Salary: $18,000-$23,000 with some non-medical benefits
Manage and develop all aspects of a future vegetable CSA designed to serve low-income households. Position also includes coordinating and creating an inclusive garden environment for a diverse volunteer pool such as the church community, individuals with disabilities, and the elderly.
This position is new to our church and was born out of a fresh vision of ours to reach out to and serve the community we live in. We have just under 2-acres of undeveloped, farmable land that we wish to develop with mindfulness and purpose, as we seek to address issues of food access and hunger in our community.
1. Coordinate, recruit, and manage relationships with all volunteers and low-income CSA members. Use the garden as a bridge and a vehicle to build relationships between the local community-at-large and Council Tree members and staff. Ensure garden is a positive, Christ-centered environment that supports community-building efforts in accordance with our vision.
2. Actively participate in Council Tree Covenant Church Staff Team Meetings and the overall life of the church.
3. Manage all aspects of new CSA farm, including:
- Work with designer to develop garden layout and plan, anticipating 2017 as first full growing season;
- Manage soil fertility;
- Seed, plant; cultivate; harvest, and process crops;
- Distribute storage crops;
- Plan crops and prepare field;
- Maintain grounds including fencing, irrigating, and equipment.
4. Manage the garden budget.
5. Other duties as determined.
1. Demonstrated ability to work with people of all ages and skill levels.
2. Degree or training in agriculture, education, pastoral care, social work, or related field (experience may be substituted for degree).
3. Experience farming for at least one growing season using organic growing methods.
1. Must have passion for community-building and helping people connect with the earth.
2. Must be resourceful, have initiative, and a can-do attitude.
3. Must be excited to work on staff at a church and be supportive of the Evangelical Covenant Churches approach to faith (covchurch.org).
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 6, 2016.