Lower School Food Leader
Friends’ Central School, an independent, coeducational, Quaker day school and founded in 1845 and serving 800 students in Nursery through grade 12, seeks a 12 month Lower School Food Leader who supervises and coordinates food service for grades N-5 in accordance with the School’s nutrition and education goals, including ensuring proper nutrition of students, staff and visitors, sourcing local, organic, and when possible seasonal, foods, and creating a sustainable, environmentally-conscious kitchen environment. The position requires dedication to the School’s Quaker heritage, the ability to collaborate and inspire, and a sense of humor.
Essential functions include:
- Supervise, coordinate, and partake in food sourcing and production creating fresh, tasty, nutritionally balanced lunch and snacks that appeal to students in Nursery to Grade 5 as well as faculty and guests.
- Create evolving plan for the kitchen to continue to explore new ways to be environmentally conscious, including local sourcing, composting, water reuse, etc.
- Develop the annual budget for the food services program and track profit and loss
- Ensure that all activities conform to appropriate health and safety guidelines.
- Collaborate and coordinate with Lower School gardener and teachers to promote farm to table eating and education.
- Source local and organic ingredients
- Manage two additional employees and volunteers including training, scheduling, daily supervision, and time and attendance tracking.
- Establish and implement an effective method of meal count forecasting.
- Supervise the preparation and service of meals for special functions and community activities.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience in catering, restaurant, or school food production
- An avid belief and demonstrated interest in local, sustainable eating. Such an interest may be from coursework, volunteerism, or professional experience.
- Knowledge of basic math applications and computations.
- Experience producing allergen-free tasty food choices.
- Must share the School’s passion for its new food service vision which includes sustainable healthy eating, closing students’ gap between food production and dining, and increasing nutritional understanding among our students.
- Must have a warm and welcoming personality
- Must be interested in working with elementary-aged students
- Must be open to learning and continued growth in the areas nutrition, local food production, food storage, and education
- Must be interested in helping to market this new vision to the school community
- Must be willing to work with teachers to create student opportunities for food tasting and production
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- Requires physical exertion, including prolonged sitting or standing. stooping, bending, lifting, and reaching.
- Must be able to work in noisy and crowded environments.
- Must be able to work in and around fumes and odors.
- Must be willing to work outdoors
Salary is competitive with top independent schools in the region and commensurate with experience. Friends’ Central School offers an excellent benefits package, including four weeks vacation.
Please send cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Friends’ Central School seeks candidates with a commitment to fostering an inclusive learning community, who will address issues of diversity, as well as enhance the Philosophy of Inclusivity and Awareness articulated in our Diversity Statement.