Troy, New York
Healthy Communities Coordinator
About Capital Roots
Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to nourish healthy communities by providing access to fresh foods and green space for all.
TITLE: Healthy Communities Coordinator (Management-level Position)
REPORTS TO: Healthy Places Manager
Bachelor’s Degree and 1-2 years of similar community engagement and project management experience. Excellent computer and communication skills is essential; grant and budget management experience is a plus. Must have a positive attitude, high energy level, and a genuine interest in the mission of our organization.
To create policies that enhance community health in the Capital Region; specifically focusing on complete streets and healthy retail certifications as developed by stakeholders and grassroots, citizen action groups that will educate and advocate for legislation adoption.
- Research and develop a working knowledge of current complete streets and healthy retail policies within our service area and become engaged with other stakeholders, agencies, and experts to implement policy change
- Develop and facilitate citizen action groups including individuals, stakeholders, policymakers, municipal officials, alternative transportation advocates, etc to help affect change
- Assist in the creation of complete street policies/ordinances for each municipality in our service area and encourage policymakers to work toward policy adoption
Develop holistic policies for Healthy Stores, healthy retail, vending, and meetings that educate consumers and encourage policymaker, stakeholders and local municipalities to adopt this certification
- Work with citizen action groups to plan and execute “on-the-ground projects” that support complete street policies and healthy retail, including a volunteer corps to strengthen Healthy Stores with property improvements
- Develop marketing campaigns that educate citizens and policymakers about the benefits of complete street legislation, as well as healthy retail, and use those materials to engage local media outlets to promote short and long-term objectives for each municipality
- Develop and/or maintain collaborations, business relationships and formal agreements with all program partners including municipalities, citizen-action groups, agencies, etc
- Work in collaboration with the Healthy Places Manager to maintain all aspects of project data collection and grant reporting related to program objectives
Occasionally assist the Mobile Market Coordinator and Food Hub Coordinator, as needed
SALARY & BENEFITS:
This position is a full-time position: $35,000 per year. Excellent benefits including fully paid individual health and vision insurance and partly paid dental insurance. Generous vacation/holiday policy. Retirement plan. Flexible work environment.
To learn more about Capital Roots, go to http://www.capitalroots.org. Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position, especially candidates of color. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We will not discriminate in our hiring on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
Send cover letter, salary history and resume to:
Amy Klein, Executive Director
Capital Roots – 594 River Street, Troy NY 12180
Or by email: email@example.com
NO CALLS PLEASE!