The Northeast Organic Farming Association, Massachusetts Chapter (NOFA/Mass) is seeking a part-time, self-motivated, organized, tech savvy and forward thinking person to manage our public relations work. The Public Relations Coordinator publicizes our education and advocacy efforts, mobilizing our membership and engaging new audiences. Using social media, email, outreach to allies and press, as well as new media channels and tools, this person’s main goal is to increase our visibility, reach, participation and attendance at events.
- Work with the Communication Director and education program staff to set and implement communication strategy and campaigns.
- Manage social media and email marketing content scheduling, curation, development, layout and distribution, engaging new audiences and collaborators.
- Identify and propose the use of new tools and technologies for publicity.
- Develop and implement media/press outreach projects, including press releases, emails, calls, etc.
- Track press coverage, media contacts and coverage of related issues.
- Cultivate relationships with reporters, bloggers, etc.
- Manage and document relevant data, including media contacts and coverage, photo and video assets, and make available for use by colleagues and collaborators.
- Publicize education events, conferences, fundraisers, etc through allied organizations, presenters, sponsors, etc.
- Use language and images to tell compelling stories for web, print, etc.
- Synthesize complex issues for broad audiences.
- Recruit and manage individuals engaged as interns, work study or work exchange participants.
- Demonstrated excellent writing and verbal communication, including producing content for web, newsletters and social media.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills.
- Good eye for visual design.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfort in communicating with a wide variety of people, from media professionals to community groups and individuals of all backgrounds.
- 2-5 years of prior experience in publicity and communication.
- Proficiency and agility with Google Drive and Dropbox file sharing systems.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/manage simultaneous projects and make deadlines.
- Ability to implement innovative, low-cost and high-impact ways for NOFA/Mass to connect with new audiences.
- Willingness to understand and cultivate sensitivity to NOFA/Mass’s organizational culture and structure, and willingness to work within it under the guidance of the Communications Director.
Helpful, but not required:
- Skill in use of media creation tools, including video, photo, and Adobe software.
- Experience with website content management systems (like Drupal and WordPress).
- Familiarity with metrics and analysis of impact of social media and other web platforms.
- Experience working with graphic designers and printers.
- Position is 20 hours per week, with flexible hours.
- Some benefits offered, not including health insurance.
- NOFA/Mass membership is required.
- Occasional travel necessary for mandatory in person meetings and two NOFA conferences – August in Amherst, MA and January in Worcester, MA.
- Reliable internet/phone access is necessary to perform this remote position.
- Employee will provide basic office equipment.
- Starting pay is $14-$16/hour, depending on experience.
- Position will begin in mid-late August, with new hire ideally attending the August 12-14 NOFA Summer Conference.
How to apply:
By Wednesday, July 13, send resume, cover letter, writing and other relevant work samples, and three references to Nicole Belanger, Communication Director, by email email@example.com. With questions, email or call (508) 450-2441.
NOFA/Mass is an equal opportunity employer who does not discriminate in employment and contracting practices based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability.