Kinderhook, New York
Farm to Table Culinary Program Manager
The Sylvia Center at Katchkie Farm
The Sylvia Center(TSC) is a nonprofit organization based in New York City and Kinderhook, NY. Our mission is to inspire children to eat well through hands-on learning experiences on the farm and in the kitchen. Through our programs, children learn what fresh food is, how delicious it tastes, and how to prepare it for themselves and their families. In our Children’s Garden, and outdoor kitchen on Katchkie Farm, and in local schools and community centers, we teach skills that inspire children to establish independent healthy eating habits – so that they may lead healthy and productive lives.
Job Title and Summary
The Sylvia Center at Katchkie Farm is seeking a fulltime Farm to Table Culinary Program Manager. This person is passionate about cooking straight out of the garden and is an unwaveringly and enthusiastic teacher of all ages. Working with the Education Director, the Culinary Manager develops, manages, and conducts the culinary component of our farm to table educational programs which teach basic culinary skills, food seasonality, and the joy of cooking and eating fresh fruits and vegetables.
Primary duties include managing and teaching culinary programs on the farm and in Columbia County schools and community centers. In partnership with the Education Director, the Culinary Manager creates meaningful learning experiences for all
participants and serves as a spokesperson for the culinary programs in Columbia County. The Culinary Manager will be supported by the Culinary Assistant and work closely with the Education Director to ensure the best learning experiences for students.
This position requires an extremely flexible schedule, as the workweek will vary over the course of each season including some early mornings, evenings, and occasional weekends for special events.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Envisions, manages, plans, and leads educational culinary programs that support our five key learning competencies for students: Willingness to try new things, ability to identify components of a healthy meal, knowledge of where food comes from
and how it grows, understanding of seasonality, and increase of self efficacy in food preparation
- Teaches groups of 1060 participants (divided into smaller groups) in an outdoor setting and in after school programs, how to create seasonally inspired vegetarian meals from scratch using farm produce · Manages and leads offsite culinary programs
- Reviews program plans and recipes with staff prior to programs with support from the parttime Culinary Assistant · Directs the parttime Culinary Assistant to complete tasks that will support the program
- Serves as community liaison for all culinaryrelated activities and represents the Center as appropriate
- Performs outreach and support development of relationships with schools, community centers, and youth programs
- Manages grants related to culinary program including implementation, maintaining budgets, and reporting
- Assists with farm and garden work as needed and maintains high level of cleanliness and organization in the prep and field house kitchens
- Assists Education Director with administration, operations, site management, special events, and other duties as assigned
- Culinary Degree or equivalent professional experience and a minimum of 2 years experience teaching children culinary skills
- Management experience preferably in a teaching environment
- Experience managing grant funded projects
- Experience working in lowincome communities
- Enthusiastic, energetic, and able to work quickly and efficiently in a fast paced environment
- Detailoriented, responsible, and focused
- Able to work independently on projects, anticipate what needs to be done, and take action
- Exceptional and cooperative work ethic, and the ability to rise to the occasion with a positive attitude when unexpected tasks need to be completed
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs., and perform physical, outdoor jobs in inclement weather
- Flexible schedule and ability to accommodate irregular work weeks and occasional weekends
- Current CPR, FirstAid Certification, Valid Driver’s License, and a reliable vehicle
Compensation: Salaried position with benefits and healthy portions of farm produce and eggs.
To Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, and three references, at least two professional, (include name, relationship, phone number, and email address) to Julie Cerny, Education Director and Garden Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit our website for additional information.