Big Island, Hawaii
THE FRUIT TREE PLANTING FOUNDATION (FTPF) is an award-winning international nonprofit charity dedicated to planting fruit trees to alleviate world hunger, combat global warming, strengthen communities, and improve the surrounding air, soil, and water. FTPF programs strategically donate orchards where the harvest will best serve communities for generations, at places such as public schools, city parks, community gardens, low-income neighborhoods, Native American reservations, international hunger relief sites, and animal sanctuaries. FTPF’s unique mission, which has been featured in The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, USA Today, and The Today Show, benefits the environment, human health, and animal welfare—all at once! For more information please visit www.ftpf.org.
OBJECTIVES: FTPF is looking for a dedicated individual to serve as volunteer caretaker of our newly developing headquarters/nursery/retreat center on the Big Island of Hawaii. The nursery will grow saplings to provide thousands of trees for local projects, to help underserved communities with improved nutrition and environment. The nursery is located on a pristine, off-the-grid 15-acre property in the middle of the Hawaiian jungle, on one of the most beautiful roads on the planet, in one of the most captivating regions of the country. The site includes multiple cabins, a house, and an open-air lodge, and will be home to staff and volunteers.
We are seeking a responsible caretaker to ensure the grounds serve the project to achieve maximum potential.
- Excellent command of managing day-to-day operations, including solar, propane, and rain catchment systems
- Experience with general maintenance of buildings and grounds (including basic plumbing, electrical, and carpentry skills)
- Ability to manage volunteers and learn new duties and responsibilities quickly
- Commitment to the objectives of the organization & the ability to promote them in a professional manner
- Excellent interaction skills to work with resident staff and volunteers
- Commitment to working at least 3 flexible hours per day, until all daily maintenance needs are met
- Rent-free living in a charming, comfortable cabin with electricity, plumbing, and common areas with internet access
- Must be respectful of on-site vegetarian rules
- Partners or family members who wish to reside on the grounds with the caretaker will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Modest stipend negotiable & caretaker is encouraged to hold additional employment outside of the property for supplemental income
- Room for professional growth as project develops and gains momentum
- Reports to executive director
- Available immediately