Equipment and Irrigation Manager Position at Tahoma Farms
Tahoma Farms is a 40-acre certified organic vegetable farm located on the fertile banks of the Puyallup River. Our farm has been in production since 2009, and is part of a 100-acre conservation easement held by the PCC Farmland Trust that ensures our farm will always be a farm in organic production. We grow a wide variety of mostly cool climate vegetables and berries. Three-quarters of what we produce goes directly to our sister company, Terra Organics (www.terra-organics.com) for distribution to homes and businesses in the Puget Sound region. We also sell certain crops to local wholesale companies.
Tahoma Farms is a production oriented farm with a strong focus on efficiency, crop diversity and quality.
Members of the Tahoma Farms crew are reliable, self-motivated and organized. Applicants should possess a strong work ethic, attention to detail and cleanliness, and good listening skills. Applicants for Equipment and Irrigation manager need to be problem solvers and trouble shooters. Applicants should be flexible, with a positive attitude and a willingness to work in variable conditions, including independently and as a team. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly.
The Equipment and Irrigation manager is responsible for the operation and maintenance of all farm equipment, as well as occasionally training other employees on the use of equipment. Equipment is used to prepare fields for planting, transplanting, cultivation, some harvesting and more. Additionally, the position manages the irrigation scheduling and implementation for all field crops. Irrigation is mostly done with handline and overhead sprinklers. Additionally, this position can be responsible for farm maintenance projects when necessary and possible.
This position can be year round for the right person, with hours varying from 20-50 hours per week depending on the time of year. Occasional Saturdays are required. The position works with the farm owner and other managers to develop a work plan. The position manages up to 3 other employees for irrigation work and occasional equipment assistance.
- work with farm owner and other managers to develop plan for field preparation and implementing the planting plan and crop rotations
- perform tractor work including primary tillage, bed preparation, spreading fertilizer, planting, cultivation, flaming, hilling, changing and adjusting implements, etc
- utilize innovation and creativity to improve farm equipment and facilities maintenance
- Perform routine vehicle, equipment and facilities maintenance
- act as a handy person around the farm, repairing and improving things as needed
- communicate with farm owners regularly regarding work plan, repairs, equipment needs, etc.
- inventory and maintain irrigation equipment and parts, including beginning and end of season duties such as well and pump maintenance and storage of equipment
- repair irrigation systems
- schedule and implement irrigation of crops in an efficient and timely manner
- utilize members of the field crew on an as needed basis to assist in irrigation and equipment responsibilities
- general farm labor as needed
Compensation depends on experience. To apply, please send cover letter, resume and 3 reference to Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org