Troy, New York
Seasonal Garden Organizer
About Capital Roots
Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to nourish healthy communities by providing access to fresh healthy foods and green space for all.
TITLE: Seasonal Garden Organizer REPORTS TO: Community Gardening Program Manager
Capital Roots’ Community Gardening Program makes community food plots available to hundreds of gardening families across four counties in our 51 community gardens. The Seasonal Garden Organizer will welcome new and returning gardeners into the community gardening program and prepare the gardens for the 2017 growing season under the supervision of the Community Gardening Program Manager.
- Commitment to the mission of Capital Roots
- Motivated and energetic person who enjoys working outside
- Must have excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Must have a clean driving record
- Community organizing and/or gardening experience preferred
- Register returning gardeners and conduct orientations for new participants
- Gain firm understanding of Community Gardening Handbook (provided during staff orientation) to articulate general responsibilities of participating gardeners while addressing consumer nee
- Generate maps and contact lists for program participants
- Lead work parties in gardens
- Site preparation and new garden development
- Foster greater gardener involvement in program
SALARY & BENEFITS:
- This is a full-time, temporary position (from January through June), paid at an hourly rate of $12/hr.
To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org. Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We will not discriminate in our hiring on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Tara Quackenbush, Community Gardening Program Manager Capital Roots
594 River Street, Troy NY 12180
NO CALLS PLEASE!