Durham, North Carolina
Production Manager, Funny Girl Farm
About Funny Girl Farm
Funny Girl Farm is a four-year-old family-owned farm, producing vegetables, fruits, eggs and mushrooms in Durham, NC. Our goal is to provide fresh, delicious and sustainably-grown produce and excellent customer service, while maintaining a positive, productive, and educational workplace. In the coming years, the farm seeks to increase revenue through efficiency of production and growth in wholesale and retail sales.
We grow year-round and use sustainable farming practices including crop rotation, cover cropping, and IPM. Our vegetable operation is on 2.5 acres and includes one greenhouse and four high tunnels. We produce free-range eggs from 650 hens and shiitake mushrooms from 1,400+ logs.
The farm is in a prime location on a busy back-route between Durham and Chapel Hill, just 10-15 minutes from both downtowns. We have a successful retail farmstand, which offers a curated selection of local products, a growing customer base, and a farmstand CSA program. We also have established wholesale relationships with many restaurants and small grocers in the area.
The farm offers many amenities to assist production including: newly completed barn with state-of-the-art wash and packing station, three walk-in coolers, kitchen, and office, as well as delivery vehicle, Gator, and tractor.
We are seeking an experienced manager for a salaried position leading production at our farm. The manager will benefit from a knowledgeable, hardworking farm crew of one part-time and two full-time farmers who are currently running the farm operation.
- Hire, train, schedule, and manage farm crew. Supervise farm crew on a daily basis and delegate responsibilities for maximum efficiency in all production tasks. Communicate with and manage farm volunteers.
- Oversee all elements of on-farm production for garden and mushrooms. This includes crop planning, propagation, soil management, cultivation, integrative pest management, harvest, post-harvest handling and quality control.
- Oversee all elements of caring for chickens, maintaining flock, and caring for two Great Pyrenees guard dogs.
- Accurately track, project and communicate produce availability to Marketing & Sales Manager for retail and wholesale sales.
- Maintain detailed records of crop performance and of all inputs by crop (including labor) in order to collaborate on enterprise budgeting with Marketing & Sales Manager.
- Enforce best practices for food safety.
- Maintain tools and equipment, keep facilities clean and tidy, and coordinate with Facilities Manager as needed on repairs and maintenance.
- At times, serve as the first point of contact for inquiries and issues that arise on site.
- Collaborate closely with Marketing & Sales Manager and Facilities Manager and report regularly to farm owners.
- Assist with farmstand setup/takedown and restocking, as needed. Be available to work a full or partial shift at the farmstand, if needed.
- Administrative tasks, including purchasing and providing receipts to Marketing & Sales Manager for expense tracking.
The Production Manager can rely on the Marketing & Sales Manager to find a market for farm products, build a customer base, oversee the farmstand, and track all revenue and expenses. These positions will work collaboratively to develop enterprise budgets and evaluate markets to inform crop planning. Additionally, a Facilities Manager keeps buildings, grounds, equipment and essential infrastructure in working order.
Qualified applicants are experienced growers and managers, with demonstrated skills to lead a farm crew in efficient, year-round production. Additional qualifications include:
- Enthusiasm for growing food and caring for farm animals
- Minimum 2 years of sustainable farming experience, with at least one year in a leadership role
- Detail oriented and able to manage multiple projects. Self-starter, hardworking, self-motivated. Interested in learning and expanding knowledge base through conference participation, reading, consultation with others in the farm community.
- Experience with high value crop production in high tunnels, as well as field production
- Creativity in improving efficiency and increasing production
- Strong communicator (written and oral), educator and manager, with ability to create positive, team-oriented work environment
- Able to lead and delegate effectively and efficiently
- Proficient with basic tools, small machinery
- Willingness to work a range of hours depending on season, including early mornings, evenings and weekends
- Availability when on-farm emergencies arise
Additional Preferred Skills
- Proficient with Excel
- Care of chickens and livestock guardian dogs
- Mushroom cultivation
- Tractor operation including tiller, bush hog and hiller implement experience
Salary is commensurate with experience. Housing on site is available as a part of compensation package.
Applications accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please provide a resume and cover letter to Casey Roe, Marketing & Sales Manager at email@example.com. Cover letter should include why you are interested in this position, why you are the best candidate for the job, the date you would be available to start the position, whether you are interested in on-site housing, and your salary requirements. Work references will be requested if you move forward in the process.