Dorchester, New Hampshire
Wellness & Culinary Specialist
We are looking for someone that is willing to learn and accept new challenges. This position builds on the opportunities available at D Acres. While we are located in rural mountains of New Hampshire, we have extensive outreach capacity and strong history of public activities & events. We hope that a wellness culinary specialist can expand and diversify the community outreach beyond food to including healing arts and outdoor recreation. This person must have good communication skills, be open to new ideas and be comfortable in a team environment. Our goal is to be a farm where healthy food and lifestyle are practiced and demonstrated.
While the candidate does not need to be a farmer/gardener, she/he will excel with more than basic knowledge of seasonal vegetable production.
Food industry experience is a must.
- Maintain commercial kitchen space, including: utensils and equipment (industrial mixer, convection oven, small electrical appliances, sinks, pots and pans)
- Yearly renewal of commercial kitchen license, Ensure Food Safety and Protocol
- Work with Admin to create and design a D Acres Recipe and Cookbook.
- Maintain and stock Pantry and Root Cellar
- weekly restocking of pantry items
- maintain cleanliness and orderliness in Pantry and Root Cellar space
- Cooking Responsibilities
- All Food Events (Monthly Potluck, Pizza Night, Farm Feast Breakfast, and other special events that may arise)
- Coordinate prep and day of checklists for events; coordinate volunteers tasks
- Delegate cooking responsibilities to others when necessary
- Be willing to learn about and then make use of Cob Oven, Solar Cookers, and Wood Cook Stoves— and then to teach and encourage others to utilize these alternative cooking methods
- Food Preservation: canning, fermentation, drying, freezing
- Bread baking, and/or oversee others in bread baking
- Meal Coordination
- being aware of available leftovers and food for residents to prepare weekly meals
- be available to give advice and point others to resources on what and how to prepare a meal, especially to those with little cooking experience for groups larger than four.
- Workshops: teach/host food-related workshops e. g. Winemaking, Harvest/Preservation, Root Cellaring, Sauerkraut/Fermentation, Cooking with the Seasons monthly workshop
- General cooking and cleaning duties
- Staff, Garden, Community Meeting, and any other Special Meetings throughout the week
- Budgets and track costs
- Monthly Bulk Food club order: Place orders, communicate with members, inventory, accounts
The Wellness Culinary Specialist’s activities will be supported by other staff and residents at D Acres and there will be regular check ins with D Acres Director to determine ongoing progress meeting organizational goals. While this job description outlines an idealized individual, we are flexible in the particulars of the job based on the individual’s experience and skills as aligned with D Acres organizational objectives
interest, contact information, resume or CV if available
Please anticipate a confirmation within 5 days. If for some reason you do not get a response contact us by telephone.