Now Hiring: FARM MANAGER
ABC acres, a Permaculture Farmstead in Hamilton, Montana, is currently reviewing applications, along with letters of introduction, for the hiring of a new Farm Manager to commence employment February 2017.
Those interested for consideration in the Farm Manager position are asked to submit all correspondence via email to firstname.lastname@example.org . We will be reviewing all submittals through the month of January, with planned follow-up correspondence via email and scheduled conference calls. Finalists for the position will be invited to the farm to meet the land owners and current staff, while better grasping the magnitude of this rare and exciting opportunity.
- Farm Manager
- Salaried Position
- Vacation & Personal Days
- On-Farm Residency (3-Bedroom Home on 1 acre)
Job Duties & Tasks:
- Livestock Care and Management
- Knowledge of Cattle, Poultry, Pigs and Goats
- Irrigation Scheduling, Maintenance and Management
- Planting Project Design, Installation, Maintenance and Management
- Existing Planting Project Maintenance and Management
- Greenhouse & Hoop House Maintenance and Management
- Poultry Butchering and Processing
- Tractor, Excavator, ATV, and Lawn Equipment Maintenance and Operation
- Farm Supplies and Materials Tracking and Restocking
- Social Media Maintenance & Updates(Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Website)
- ABC acres Youtube Channel Maintenance and Updates
Physically Be Able To:
- Bend, Dig and Lift Regularly
- Use of Shovels, Hoes and Mattocks
- Lift Weight in Excess of 65 Lbs (Hay Bales, Feed Bags, Logs, Implements, etc)
- Oversee demands of the farm personally and through delegating tasks to others.
- Handle evening, weekend and holiday farm duties.
- Facilitate educational development while focusing on creating, developing, marketing, scheduling, hosting & instructing, and handling the overall execution of educational events to promote awareness of Permaculture principles along with promoting ABC acres’ services and offerings. Examples of these are weekly videos, timely blog articles, periodic farm tours, children’s summer farm school program, and other programs / offerings to be defined.
- Work with owner to define parameters to follow in implementing varying on-site educational events pertaining to topics, schedules, expenses, fees, and any other additional details.
- Identify the market (children, professionals, seniors) and customize an educational / social experience for them to enjoy & learn from.
- Build off of past projects, as well as current projects, to implement numerous educational opportunities.
- Visit with neighboring farms to collaborate on educational events (bring in outside expertise, spread the expenses, create community relationships).
- Work to enhance Farm Stay offerings to create an all encompassing service promoting a valued experience for all visitors.
In consideration for this position, as Farm Manager you will hold the land owners’ goals & strategies for the property’s(ies’) long term growth & development in the highest regards. The land owners will expect the Farm Manager to use his/her love, respect & understanding of the land in conjunction with Permaculture Principals to enhance all aspects of the day to day farm duties, as well as long term project goals. The Farm Manager will work alongside the land owner to best understand their vision and goals for the farm… both as a personal and for-profit farmstead. Utilizing both Permaculture Design Principles and Holistic Farm Management practices, you will offer insight and expertise into the creation, critique and implementation of varying designs… designs ranging from edible food production, livestock rearing and harvesting, and overall healthy management practices. Efforts will focus on building both creative & productive Permaculture landscapes while providing educational opportunities for both local community & Farm Stay’s guests to develop awareness of ABC acres’ operation, services and overall Permaculture principles with regards to Regenerative Agricultural practices. As a Farm Employee, you will be expected to uphold yourself in a professional manner when partaking in any / all farm related activities both on and off the farm.
Much of the day to day on farm demands can be learned in relative short order, knowing that experience in any one of the above mentioned duties and responsibilities is an asset. The Farm Manager MUST possess a set of characteristics and personality traits that set him/her apart from the rest. In your submitted correspondence, please look to elaborating on your strengths and weaknesses, as well as your unique individual characteristics, that will set the foundation for your success as ABC acres’ Farm Manager. Be sure to include information on any accreditations, certifications, personal hobbies & interests, so that we can have a clear and detailed understanding for who you are, and what you bring to the table.
Thanks for taking the time to consider this opportunity, and good luck on your future endeavors.
Tim & Sarah Southwell
Owner / Operator