Carversville Farm Foundation is hiring a Field Manager with significant experience growing Certified Organic vegetables, herbs, and perennials. This is an exciting opportunity for a professional grower looking for a career on the cutting edge of sustainable food production. You will have access to brand new, state-of-the art equipment and the opportunity to work with the world’s foremost consultants on soil regeneration, land planning, and crop and livestock production on an ongoing basis. Responsibilities include planning and managing farm staff and apprentices in the production of vegetables, fruit, and herbs. This position reports directly to the Farm Manager and works continuously with the Livestock Manager to plan daily, weekly, and seasonal workflow, personnel, and equipment distribution.
The ideal candidate will be willing to make a long term commitment and possess the following qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of 3 seasons managing Certified Organic vegetable production on 5+ acres.
- Perennials including herbs, small fruits, and trees.
- Utilizing a diversity of cover crops and field crops on a broad-acre scale is a plus, especially in mixes or “cocktails.”
- Pasture cropping, polycultures, companion planting, inter-seeding, and living mulches.
- No-till vegetable and crop production and a desire to be on the edge of progressing the science of no-till production systems on a broad-acre scale.
- Soil testing, re-mineralization, foliar feeding, pest and disease scouting (NOP/OMRI compliant).
- Exposure to Keyline Landscape Design, Keyline soil formation, and the Yeoman’s Plow.
- Experience and desire to work with and teach apprentices on a daily basis.
- A track record of success working in a cooperative team environment requiring a high level of planning, communication, and documentation.
- Desire and willingness to work with world-class consultants and advisors.
- Knowledge of the principles of soil biology, ecosystem function, plant science, and environmental regeneration.
- A desire to produce food of the highest nutritional, culinary, and ecological quality.
- A desire to continue to learn and grow as a person and farmer. Continuous personal development is encouraged and supported at CFF.
- Mechanical and technical ability to troubleshoot issues with equipment, irrigation, and infrastructure with the help of the farm manager, farm mechanic, and professional contractors.
Who we are:
Carversville Farm Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, produces fresh sustainable food specifically for donation to populations who lack access to a balanced diet; offers farm apprenticeships, workshops and facilitates information exchange; and nurtures organic farms through cooperative purchasing and other programs. Utilizing advanced sustainable farming methods, the farm works to provide these services while simultaneously regenerating the agro-ecosystem.
This is a salaried, full time, year round, permanent position starting immediately. You will be provided housing and a share of food from the farm. Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes 100% paid health, dental, and other benefits. For consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Carversville Farm Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.