Long Valley, New Jersey
Ethos Health is a 342 acre preserved farm consisting of prime soils in Long Valley, NJ, 1 hour drive from NYC. The farm is owned by a primary care physician with a medical practice on site whose mission is to prevent and reverse illness through a plant-based whole foods lifestyle. Soil restoration is of primary concern in all our farming practices. Cover crops, composting, native species restoration, and forest stewardship are the tools used to cultivate a living soil and produce the high quality, nutrient-dense foods that support healing and good health. Please go to our website for more information – ethoshealth.org
Seeking an assistant farmer to help grow an existing “Health Farm Stand”. This is a full time, seasonal position from April through October. The candidate must commit to the full season. The assistant farmer will work with and under the guidance of the lead farmer and farm manager to provide produce for patients and the public through the farm stand. In the 2017 season we will have 2 acres of diversified vegetables and berries in production within our 12 acre growing field. The remaining field is in cover crop. The assistant farmer will assist in all aspects of growing the crops as well as working at the farm stand. We follow all organic certification growing guidelines and will apply for certification soon.
● Prefer at least 1 year organic vegetable growing experience.
● Experience with tractors and other farm equipment; mechanic skills, carpentry, or other skills a plus.
● Ability to work well with and without supervision.
● Strong organizational skills with the ability to plan ahead.
● Good communication skills; desire to cultivate relationships with patients and community.
● Enthusiastic, positive attitude and a strong work ethic.
● Comfortable with physical labor in all weather conditions.
● Upon hiring will need to submit to a background check.
● Flexible with schedule to meet farm needs – must work Saturdays’.
The Assistant Farmer will work with the Lead Farmer in all aspects of certified organic production. Duties may include:
● Seed starting, tilling soil and applying soil amendments; composting; transplanting, weeding, thinning or pruning crops; harvesting, cleaning, packing and loading produce.
● Work in the farm stand 2-3 days a week.
● Use of tractors with assorted implements.
● Use of hand and power tools.
● Care of farm buildings, tools, equipment, and grounds. Possible duties may include: constructing trellises; construction and repair of fences; building maintenance; sharpening of tools; field mowing.
● Maintain farm records.
● Work with volunteers, interns and other farm help.
● Participate in medical office/farm activities and events.
● Additional responsibilities and tasks may be assigned based on interest and aptitude of Assistant Farmer.
Other things to consider before applying:
On farm housing is included in your compensation. You will share a two bedroom, two bath cottage with the lead farmer.
If you are a vegan or vegetarian you will be comfortable here. If not, you will need to be respectful of the fact that a whole foods, plant-based diet and lifestyle is the foundation of the doctor’s work.
Compensation consists of stipend plus shared on-farm housing and farm produce.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send letter of interest and resume to Nora Pugliese, firstname.lastname@example.org