Long Valley, New Jersey
Ethos Health is a 342 acre preserved farm consisting of prime soils in Long Valley, NJ, 1 hour drive from NYC. The farm is owned by a primary care physician with a medical practice on site whose mission is to prevent and reverse illness through a plant-based whole foods lifestyle. Soil restoration is of primary concern in all our farming practices. Cover crops, composting, native species restoration, and forest stewardship are the tools used to cultivate a living soil and produce the high quality, nutrient-dense foods that support healing and good health. Please go to our website for more information – ethoshealth.org
Seeking a highly skilled lead farmer to help grow an existing “Health Farm Stand”. This is a full time, year round position. The lead farmer will work with and under the guidance of the farm manager. There will be one farming assistant and/or a few part time interns. The farmers will collaborate with the doctor to provide produce for patients and the public through the farm stand. In the 2017 season we will have 2 acres of diversified vegetables and berries in production within our 12 acre growing field. The remaining field is in cover crop. The lead farmer will be responsible for all aspects of growing the crops as well as helping to manage the farm stand. We follow all organic certification growing guidelines and will apply for certification soon.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage day-to-day vegetable production operations including seed starting, soil preparation, transplant production, planting, irrigation, cultivation, cover cropping, high tunnel management, harvesting.
- Farm stand operations – manage staff and operate it yourself when necessary, marketing, create content for weekly communication with patients/customers via email and social media.
- Responsible for keeping all field and high tunnel records using methods in compliance with organic certification.
- Help develop and maintain soil building program including composting, cover cropping, and foliar spraying.
- Help develop and implement fertilization program through drip irrigation system. Install, operate and monitor irrigation activities.
- Manage harvest schedule.
- Supervise staff and volunteers.
- Help maintain farm infrastructure.
- Coordinate with the medical office to supply produce for their classes and events and assist with farm/medical office events.
- Snow plowing and walkway shoveling in winter months
- Must be passionate about sustainable farming, the environment, and the connection between those things and good health.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in organic vegetable production including high tunnel and greenhouse production.
- Experience with operation and maintenance of tractors, implements and other small equipment.
- A positive outlook and flexible, tireless and solution-oriented approach to farming. Must also be in excellent physical shape, comfortable working in all weather conditions.
- Proficiency in Excel and Outlook software, strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-directed and able to work independently with advanced organizational skills.
- Flexible with both schedule and day to day tasks. Must be able to work Saturdays’.
- Maintain a quick work pace, you will work efficiently and quickly while maintaining a commitment to producing high quality produce.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to submit to a background check.
- Must be comfortable using tractors and tools, with at least basic maintenance and carpentry skills.
- Knowledge of compost management and low/no till practices would be a plus.
Other things to consider before applying:
On farm housing is included in your compensation. You will share a two bedroom, two bath cottage with an assistant farmer.
There are numerous Ethos classes and events that you will participate in. Your help may vary greatly. You could be asked to give a farm tour or help park vehicles, for example, as well as setting up and cleaning up for events.
If you are a vegan or vegetarian you will be comfortable here. If not, you will need to be respectful of the fact that a whole foods, plant-based diet and lifestyle is the foundation of the doctor’s work.
Compensation consists of salary plus shared on-farm housing and farm produce plus access to Dr. Weiss and all Ethos Health programs and classes.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send letter of interest and resume to Nora Pugliese, email@example.com