Front Porch Farm Vegetable Program Manager
Front Porch Farm is a 110 acre mosaic of fruit and olive orchards, fields of grains, alfalfa and pasture grasses, rows of flowers, acres of heritage vegetable crops, and vineyards on sunny hillsides. The farm lies along a wild stretch of the Russian River, in a fertile pocket valley only 10 minutes from downtown Healdsburg in beautiful, Northern California. We see the farm as a symphony of life-affirming patterns, taking care to nurture the biotic community resident in our soils, orchestrating the succession of crops so that each one benefits from its predecessor, and making diversity our guiding principle. We also believe firmly in nurturing both our small farm community and our greater foodshed, and equally as important, in beauty.
Since 2014, the vegetable fields have been expanding rapidly and demand for our produce is growing. To accommodate this demand, we are seeking a Vegetable Program Manager, responsible for the overall management of the rotating 10 acre vegetable field on the farm. The Vegetable Program Manager has full responsibility for executing the vegetable production and sales plan developed in collaboration with the General Manager, and will be leading a small team including an assistant harvest/sales manager and field crew. In addition, you will be working in tandem with our Flower, Field and Equipment, and Wine Program Managers. Our goal is to offer a high level of autonomy to Program Managers to make day to day decisions, develop and deepen their skills, continue to grow the farm, and contribute to the farm’s profitability.
Given seasonal nature of farming, Program Managers are expected to work the hours to get the jobs done. We can work up to 60 hrs/week during the peak of the season, including weekends, and 20-30 hours during the off season. Extended time off can be arranged during the off season.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Responsible for the growing, harvesting, irrigating, packing and selling organic vegetable crops on as much as 10 acres. This includes, but is not limited to: crop planning, budgeting, labor management, crop quality and food safety.
- Share staffing the Farmers Markets with other staff.
- Input and maintain data and records in computer systems.
- Create enterprise budgets and a crop plan.
- Utilize sustainable organic production methods to yield quality produce and build soil fertility and structure.
- Cultivate a work environment based on a strong work ethic, clear communication, commitment to excellence and a job well done.
- Maintain crop production and pesticide application records for submittal to corresponding agencies, including records for organic certification.
- Attend and participate in farm meetings and events as required.
- Act as an ambassador for the farm, on site and in the community.
- Educate and interface with the public about the vegetable program.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- In-depth knowledge of vegetable production and harvesting operations, including crop rotation, pest control, fertility management, post-harvest handling and storage etc.
- Minimum 3 years diversified organic vegetable production experience, management experience preferred.
- Produce Marketing skills desirable.
- The ability to maintain a positive attitude, have fun, and collaborate with the rest of the farm team in a fast moving and high pressure environment.
- Experience, willingness, and interest in managing 2-5 employees, mainly Spanish speaking.
- Basic Spanish language skills.
- Understand budgeting and financial statements and a willingness to keep learning how to better achieve financial goals.
- Some mechanical aptitude and experience operating farm equipment.
- Interested in education and teaching farm skills to apprentices and the public.
- Able to lift 50+ pounds, bend lift, crouch for long periods of time in all weather conditions.
- Willingness to work weekends and staff Farmers Markets.
- Interest in making a long term commitment to this position – minimum 2 seasons.
- Willing to cheer on or participate in the farm’s bocce ball team…..softball, too.
This is a full time, year round position.
Competitive pay, health care coverage, paid vacation, continuing education opportunities, and all the produce you can eat included. We believe in taking care of our community as much as we care about nurturing our crops. Details to be negotiated at time of offer and based on the candidate’s skills and experience. Position available now.
All interested parties please email resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com