Resilient Northern Habitats
Position: Seed Field Manager
Hours: 30+hr/week during growing season. If interested there is other food hub work to create full-time and/or year-round job.
Location: Hungry Turtle Farm, Amery Wisconsins
Deadline: January 27th, 2017 (Open until filled)
Mission: Resilient Northern Habitats is a mission-driven non-profit based in Amery, WI. We strive to enhance whole natural systems through design, models and instruction. Protecting and increasing biodiversity is part of this mission and thus, our Seed Initiative seeks to grow, share, and train seed producers in our region. We are looking for a person who not only wants to be outside, grow annual vegetables and flowers, but would like to commit to seed production training with Seed Sages (consultants) and gain a priceless skill set that is in increasing demand in local food-sheds.
Job Overview: This position requires a strong background in annual agricultural production as well as a passion to increase regional agrobiodiversity. The Seed Field Manager is primarily responsible for coordinating and implementing annual seed production at the Hungry Turtle Farm with technical assistance and training from Seed Sages. For the 2017 season, the goals are to increase our seed production on-site and to begin training a Seed Field Manager for a long-term position.
Typical Physical Demands: This position requires typical physical demands for farm labor, such as walking, standing, reaching, stooping, squatting, lifting up to 50 lbs and working indoors and outdoors in cold, hot or wet conditions on uneven surfaces.
- Supervision of seed farm space and field assistants and volunteers
- Coordinate and cooperate with Seed Sages staff for weekly meetings and write monthly field reports
- Maintain standards of seed production to ensure highest quality regional seed stocks
- Increase soil fertility on farm by following an annual nutrient-cycling plan
- Maintain seed farm infrastructure, heath and aesthetic beauty with the help of assistants and Seed Sages
- Seed, supply and tool acquisition
- Implement a weekly prepared planting and maintenance schedule
- Insect and weed control, fertility monitoring and general field observation
- Set-up and coordinate farm-to-restaurant weekly seed harvest schedule
- Install and maintain irrigation if needed
- Able to work in the field and office, including hard physical work
- Great interpersonal skills
- Willing and able to train one-on-one with Seed Sages for 3-year seed production certification
- 2+ years farm management experience
Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent
College level courses in Breeding, Soil Science, Horticulture/Agricultural Sciences, Land Management or other professional development that relates to farm/seed skills and management
Experience in implementing various irrigation systems: drip, overhead, etc.
Experience working in a team environment with proven leadership skills
Demonstrated ability to work independently
Demonstrated good organizational and record keeping skills
Minimum of two years experience of full-season management
Demonstrated farm planning experience and working knowledge of farm infrastructure
Experience in using organic principles and practices
Familiarity with seed production and seed saving
Experience working with vegetables
Ability to lift 30lbs
Self-motivated, cooperative, and flexible
Responsibly manage farm record keeping tasks and manage administrative tasks
Must have current, valid driver’s license
Compensation will be based on experience. Housing may be available on-site
To apply, please send a one-paragraph email that tells us why you are interested. Attach resume and cover letter in PDF form to the email as well. Send all materials to email@example.com with “Seed Field Manager” in subject line.