Mountain Ranch, California
Professional Permaculture Property Management Position
Status ~ Full time, annual salary ~ $13-26,000 (single / couple) Caretaker’s cottage, amenities & utilities provided (value $1000 pm) Additional Income Potential through micro-business partnerships Location ~ Mountain Ranch CA
Start Date ~ March 1st 2017
Gaiatree Farms has a farm management / caretaker position opening for a couple or individual with professional experience, who can demonstrate a strong work ethic, pro-active communication skills and an enthusiastic focus on the long-term health and productivity of the farm. Must have extensive education and experience in permaculture practices, organic farming, regenerative land stewardship and people management.
Position Overview ~ The Farm manager will be responsible for design, implementation, maintenance and sustainability of the permaculture farm plan along with care taking repsonsabilities of the entire property. There is an existing farm plan along with farm infrastructure, including swales, gardens, fruit & nut trees, greenhouses, ponds, shop, outdoor facilities etc. The position entails developing, managing and maintaining the annual and perennial gardens. Implementing successful micro business models, developing nursery with native and edible perennial plants and managing volunteer help such as woofers. The Farm Manager works closely with and reports directly to the Farm Director.
Roles & Responsibilities ~
- Provide daily oversight & management of the execution of farm plan
- Co-ordinate daily schedules and work planning for team
- Research, order, pick-up, plant & care for perennial plants & trees
- Start seedlings & create schedule & implement ongoing annual vegetable production
- Review & improve upon all existing irrigation systems
- Design & create sprout sanctuary for daily consumption
- Provide oversight & management for all field activities, including, but not limited to irrigation, cultivation and general maintenance of farm/property upkeep
- Lead a weekly meeting to discuss important details & plans for farm
- Maintain accurate inventory of all materials and supplies related to field production activities and general property needs, including, but not limited to: all inputs including seed, tools and supplies etc.
- The ability to oversee multiple projects happening simultaneously with a calm, focused demeanor
- To co-ordinate / manage farm workers, long-term apprentices and woofers
- Care for all animals on a daily basis
- Grounds maintenance, including, but not limited to: lawn care, forest management, creek development, chainsaw work, tractor work, driveway maintenance etc
The long-term goal of Gaiatree Farm ~ is to create a thriving food forest that sustains a community of 10-12 people and provides for guests at the Gaiatree Center for Remembrance & Connection, which is our sister vision of creating a retreat center business. Retreats may consist of permaculture education, land-stewardship, spirituality, yoga & meditation, dance, music, arts, cannabis tasting, vision quests and Source connection.
Additional qualities important to us: Caring, impeccably clean and tidy, focused, hard-working, fun, efficient, early riser, systems-thinker, music lover, ecstatic dancer, spiritually minded, loving, heart centered, patient, relaxed, honest, healthy, lover of nature and good communication skills!
About Gaiatree Farm ~ a 10 acre residence in the foothills of the beautiful Sierra Nevadas, the farm has 5 acres of flat pasture and 5 acres of gentle slopes with varied topography. There is a seasonal creek along one property line & 2 spring fed year round ponds, abundant water! The west line of the property borders 120 acres of BLM with a striking hilltop that gives you a 360-degree view of our secluded valley. There are several communal structures, including a sauna and outdoor facilities along with a private residence. We are approximately 3 hours from San Francisco and 1 hour from Sacramento. It is important for candidates to understand that this is a rural area and there are fairly limited local options for commercial & social needs! There is a grocery store with some organic foods and in the town of Murphys is the nearest actual health food store 40 mins away. It is great for the self~sustaining homesteader who is inspired to be resourceful in creating thriving social experiences on the farm.
Only serious inquiries please
This is not a property rental situation This is not a cannabis growing position 4+ references required
For more information please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find us on FB at Gaiatree Farm and Center for Remembrance and Connection