Job Description: Part-Time Communications Manager
Coastal Roots Farm is looking for an experienced and well-organized Communications Manager to coordinate and establish overall communications for our farm team by working closely alongside them.
The Communications Manager develops, manages and implements the Farm’s communications and outreach strategies including tactics to support programs and enterprises within all Coastal Roots Farm strategic areas. This includes: playing a key role in establishing overall communications goals and strategies; developing, editing and sharing content for internal and external communications; and managing the Farm’s social and digital media tools. The position entails substantial writing responsibilities, a good eye for visual presentation and design; and outstanding interpersonal skills. This is a part-time position with the possibility for full-time.
About Coastal Roots Farm
Coastal Roots Farm is a nonprofit community farm and education center that nourishes connections—to ourselves, our neighbors, and the land. Inspired by Jewish wisdom and centuries-old agricultural traditions, Coastal Roots Farm practices biodynamic farming and shares their harvest with communities that lack access to healthy food. Their goal is to become a model for community farming and creative Jewish expression, both at home in Encinitas, California, and around the world.
The farm consists of approximately 20 acres of mixed gardens, orchards, food forest, animal pastures, compost, vineyard, barns, greenhouses and farmhouses all in various stages of development. Over 50% of the food grown at Coastal Roots Farm is donated to food and nutrition insecure families in our community through a pay-what-you-can farm stand, pop-up markets and direct donations to local hunger relief organizations. The farm also distributes food through a CSA (community supported agriculture) program and to select local restaurants and grocery stores.
As a center for education and community connection, Coastal Roots Farm offers hands-on learning about farming, gardening and environmental stewardship for people of all ages and backgrounds and hosts gatherings where the community can get to know each other, eat healthy food, connect to the earth and celebrate together.
Coastal Roots Farm was incubated by the Leichtag Foundation and was recently spun off as an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that is funded through a diverse revenue mix, including philanthropic partners and social enterprise.
About the Leichtag Foundation
The Leichtag Foundation (“Foundation”) is a private independent foundation located in Encinitas, California, with a strong interest in advancing the North County coastal region of San Diego where our founders Lee and Toni Leichtag, of blessed memory, lived and worked. The Leichtag Foundation also supports programs in Jerusalem, Israel. The Foundation currently holds approximately $134 million in assets and has granted about $90 million since its inception in 1991—more than half of this since becoming independent in 2008. The Foundation focuses its philanthropy on combating poverty and increasing self-sufficiency for residents of coastal North County; supporting and inspiring vibrant Jewish life in coastal North County; stimulating renewal, service, and social activism in Jerusalem, Israel; and building strong connections and relationships between San Diego and Israel.
In 2012, the Leichtag Foundation purchased the former Paul Ecke Ranch in Encinitas, California. The Foundation’s goal for this 67.5-acre agricultural property, now known as Leichtag Commons, is to create a physical platform for the advancement of the strategies listed above and a cultural and community resource for the San Diego region. With breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean, a network of greenhouses, barns and other structures, and easy access to the public, the Ranch is situated in an ideal North County location.
The Communications Manager is responsible for the following:
- Develop and curate content for regular newsletters, email campaigns, blog, podcasts, and videos.
- Design and prepare marketing collateral, press releases, annual reports, and slide presentations.
- Draft talking points and enriched materials on a variety of subjects.
- Develop positive relationships with local and regional members of the media and respond to media inquiries.
- Work with outside consultants and resources, placing op-eds, stories and articles in a variety of publications.
Digital and Social Media:
- Develop strategy and regularly publish web and social media content to support Farm’s programs, events and social enterprises.
- Maintain and regularly update the Farm’s website and blog.
- Maintain and regularly update the Farm’s social media handles; track and evaluate stakeholder engagement on social media.
- Develop strategies for the Farm to monitor and constructively engage in relevant online conversations, and advise and support staff on use of digital media tools.
- Coordinate Communications Committee and serve on Outreach Committee.
- Attend farm events.
- Provide staffing support at Farm Stands.
- Attend regular farm team meetings as appropriate.
Qualifications / Experience
- Minimum of three years of communications strategy and implementation experience including strong experience with social and digital media. Nonprofit or philanthropic experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field is required.
- Knowledge and passion for Jewish community farming, food justice, food systems development, etc.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship development skills.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Superb internal and external customer service abilities.
- Strong eye for visual design.
- Experience working with digital media, social media, web design, publishing and customer relationship management tools.
- Strong computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe Suite.
- Ability to be open and flexible to new ways of working with diverse communities and organizations and to new ways of working across functional areas within the Farm
- Excellent creative skills and ability to experiment and iterate to attain new, better strategies, approaches, work products and solutions to challenges.
- Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of tasks along with an ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative, team environment.
Reports directly to the Associate Director.
$16- $20 per hour. Coastal Roots Farm offers a competitive benefits package.
Typical Working Conditions
The Communications manager will work inside an office, as well outdoors on occasion. There will be exposure to Southern California outside temperatures, chemicals used in the agricultural industry, and loud noises.
Essential Physical Tasks
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Continual walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, cutting and carrying.
Please send résumés to jobs@Leichtag.org. In the subject line of the email, please state the position you for which you are applying.
Coastal Roots Farm is an equal opportunity employer.