The 47th Ave Farm has 20 years of experience running a year-round 200 member CSA and selling to award winning Portland restaurants. We are hard working, committed to continuous improvement & serious about growing great food sustainably and profitably.
We farm at two different locations and we’re hiring for both sites:
- On Grand Island, an agricultural oasis just south of Dayton, Oregon we have 38 acres of beautiful river bottom soils. The farm is very close to the Willamette river and we grow a mix of vegetables, cover crops and pasture there. The crew at this farm lives in the Salem, Newberg, McMinnville area.
- At Luscher Farm we partner with the Lake Oswego Parks & Rec Dept to manage 12 acres on the edge of the urban growth boundary. This historic dairy is now an amazing urban farm on slightly sloping clay loam soils. We grow a mix of vegetables and cover crops there. The crew at this farm lives in the Portland metro area.
All of our farm properties are managed sustainably using cover crops between vegetable rotations, beneficial insects, organic fertilizers, drip irrigation, conservation tillage techniques and no synthetic chemicals. This holistic farming system improves the tilth and fertility of the farmland. It also protects the woods, wetlands and communities that surround our farms.
We are hiring a Fieldwork Manager to coordinate tilling, weeding & irrigation at our farm. Driving the tractors doing primary tillage, cultivation and irrigation will be a significant part of this person’s job. The Fieldwork Manager will work with the Owner and Farm Manager to prioritize, schedule & carry out tillage, weeding, watering and equipment maintenance on the farm. The majority of the work will be done independently, but occasionally tasks will also involve working with and supervising a crew. The Fieldwork Manager will also be responsible for quality control, time tracking, and record keeping related to fieldwork on the farm. We are looking for a person who already has at least year of experience managing fieldwork & driving tractors in organic vegetable systems. This job will also include working with the rest of the crew on other tasks like seeding, transplanting and harvesting.
The work on our farm requires physical strength and stamina. Attention to detail is also important, as the Fieldwork Manager will need to manage the records related to fieldwork & equipment maintenance. A good sense of humor definitely comes in handy too!
During the summer the Fieldwork Manager can expect a 40-50 hour workweek including occasional Saturday work parties. Winter hours are less. The farm is a fertile learning ground for those who are willing to work hard. If you are a person with tremendous energy and enthusiasm for farming (and tractors!) and if you have the experience we’re looking for, please fill out our application form and send it to us with your resume and references.
Job is is open until filled
Employment Start Date: March/April ‘17
Application and more info available at http://www.47thavefarm.com/jobs-at-the-farm/
Fieldwork Manager Responsibilities:
- Work with Owner & Farm Manager to prioritize & schedule fieldwork on the farm.
- Drive tractors for field prep, fertilization, tractor-mounted cultivating and seeding cover crop.
- Do minor service & maintenance on equipment. Maintain all data and records for equipment.
- Move, assemble & repair irrigation.
- Accountable for quality control, time tracking, and record keeping related to fieldwork on the farm.
- Work as part of the crew for other jobs on the farm.
- Occasionally responsible for leading a crew in some of the above jobs.
- Minimum 1 yr tractor driving and cultivation experience.
- Minimum 1 yr on farm crew or doing similar hard physical labor.
- Some managerial experience and aptitude required.
- Willing to make a 2+ year commitment to the job.
- Disciplined, organized, responsible, independent and positive
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Clean Drivers License
- Luscher Farm: The Fieldwork Manager will work at 125 Rosemont Rd, West Linn, OR. The people who work at Luscher Farm usually live in the Portland Metro area. There is no housing available at the farm.
- Grand Island Farm: The Fieldwork Manager will work at 18400 SE Lower Island Rd, Dayton, OR 97114. The people who work at our Grand Island Farm usually live in the Newberg, McMinnville, Salem area. There may be housing available at the farm.
- Application Due: Open until filled.
- Employment Start Date: March/April ’17
- Minimum 2+ year commitment
- May – Sept, Monday – Friday 7am – 5pm
- Oct – April, Monday – Friday, 7am – 4pm
- These hours are approximate and may be longer when necessary to get the job done.
- Occasional Saturdays in the summer for work parties
- Hourly wage DOE
- 1 Full CSA share
- Vacation: unpaid (1 week in summer, 3 weeks in winter)
- 1 week paid family leave per year
- Room and board not included