The Country Experience is a week-long sleepaway camp for 7-12 year olds on a working family farm near Galena, Illinois. Our environment has been prepared so campers can be “inside the fences” and participate in hands-on experiences with real-world tools to contribute to the farm, build life skills, and develop their character.
The Country Experience is seeking to hire dynamic camp counselors who are passionate about farm life, fresh air, working with youth, self-discovery, and growth. Counselors will be full-time residents and guide a group of campers in weekly farm experiences including caring for animals, tending to gardens, and preparing meals. As a counselor, you will be an integral part of camp whether it be helping children contribute to the farm, playing capture the flag in our forest, crafting hand-tossed pizzas for the outdoor pizza oven, leading small groups in the garden or with animals, sharing a freshly harvested family-style meal, telling campfire stories, playing mud tug-of-war, or bonding with a new farm animal. Become a key member on our farm this summer and help kids learn something about themselves, and learn a great deal about yourself along the way. The ideal candidate is a fierce worker and fun to be around, has the ability to improvise, able to pick up cues and jump in to guide or help, can engage with campers and families appropriately, and thrives on overwhelming sense of accomplishment after each day.
Schedule, Room & Board
Season runs May 30th – August 25th. Counselors are expected to stay on the farm as a resident for the duration of the summer. Camp is in session Monday-Friday. Some Sunday preparation and Saturday farm work will be needed. The counselors will each have their own cabin for the summer. Campers of the same gender will also occupy the cabin during their week stay. Separate staff area with wi-fi, tv and storage is located in the lower level of the farm house. All groceries and meals are provided. The nearby town of Galena has attractions and shops for all your farm life needs.
Duties & Responsibilities-Counselors are responsible for:
- Building an enthusiastic and productive culture in your cabin and any small group you are a part of
- Guiding chores and projects in a way that allows for an active and confident camper role
- Tending to all animal needs alongside campers
- Planting, cultivating, and harvesting the large gardens using a variety of landscaping tools
- Deciding with campers how to use the plentiful fruits and vegetables grown on the farm in our meals
- Washing dishes post-meals alongside campers
- Sleeping overnight in cabins with campers and ensuring safety and comfort
- Playing games with campers- sweating and getting dirty alongside them!
- Working on building projects or on artisan crafts
- Serve as a “camp parent” which includes assisting with showering procedures, first aid, sunblock, hydration, personal hygiene, rest times, and medication reminders
- Dealing with behavioral needs and issues in a positive and supportive way
- Bonding with campers and providing guidance and leadership to campers
- Fully participating and engaging in farm-life, modeling the behavior we wish to see from our campers
Applicant must have an interest in experiential learning, agricultural work, animal care, or education. Interest in Montessori and character development a plus. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Experience in farmstead living, basic small construction skills, baking, canning, and organic gardening a plus. Ideal applicants should be bright eyed and bushy-tailed, like animals, enjoy farm life and physical labor, work well with children, be patient, be a great problem-solver, and see the glass as half full.
How to Apply
Please email us a message about why you would love to be on the farm this summer with youth and what will make you a great member of our farm community. Please also attach a resume with past camp experiences and any other applicable qualifications we should know about! Thank you!
Counselors receive $250 a week plus lodging and meals. Counselors also receive a $50 bonus at the end of the season. You will also receive memories for a lifetime, opportunity to be creative in a large leadership role, and an amazing letter of recommendation if you earn it!