Farm Internship at Farm & Wilderness
Farm Interns assist the farm managers in the care of the livestock, barns, and gardens and help administer program activities such as homesteading, crafting, and food preservation within the summer camps. Throughout the internship, the farm interns will learn hands on farm based skills including but not limited to animal identification, animal husbandry, pasture management, crop rotation, weed identification, various types of garden skills, and develop an understanding of community living. Using a beautiful wilderness and farm setting and innovative approaches toward teaching, organic farming, and environmental education, interns will become strong leaders by developing connections to each other and the land through work, service, and community. This position starts in April and runs through October.
- Farm interns assist the farm managers in the care of the barns, gardens, animals and all other farm concerns such as craft areas, food processing, greenhouse, haying, pastures, equipment, and structure maintenance.
- Undergo training throughout the season.
- Keep current on relevant farm issues.
- Lead programs individually as well as co-instruct.
- During the summer camp season farm crew will ensure the health of the animals, gardens, and pastures and assist the farm programs as needed at either the Indian Brook, Barn Day Camp/Salt Ash Mountain, Timberlake and Tamarack Farm facilities.
- Assist with work related to opening and closing of camps.
- Share cooperative living chores with physical plant crew including cleaning, cooking, barn chores and some group maintenance projects.
- Assist with seasonal and other necessary group maintenance projects as needed: firewood, lawn mowing, kybo digging (digging out the night soil from the outhouses), recycling, trash runs, town runs, building repairs.
- 21+ years of age
- Strong desire to build skills and knowledge related to farming and teaching.
- Valid Driver’s license
Salary and Benefits
- $200.00 per week, paid bi-weekly
- room and board
To Apply: Send Cover Letter and Resume to Julie Sanderson-Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.