Hackettstown, New Jersey
Job Description – Organic Farm Apprentice/Intern
Start Date: Spring 2017
Work schedule: 4–51/2 days a week
College Credits: We will fill out paperwork for college credit
Salary: Weekly Stipend
School Lunch Organic Farm & CSA, located on 70 acres in Northern NJ, is seeking apprentices/interns for the full 2017season. This job begins in the spring and ends in late fall. The apprenticeship may resume for the 2018 season pending agreement by the farmer and apprentice. We ask for up to 5 1/2 days of work per week. Apprentices will learn all aspects of vegetable production and marketing, including weeding, harvesting, washing, CSA distribution helper, greenhouse management, seeding, transplanting, etc. We require a valid drivers license and the ability to lift at least 50lbs. We provide all the vegetables you need.
Daily activities will include
- Seed starting in greenhouse, thinning seedlings, and feeding. Direct sowing in fields.
- Record keeping
- Bed preparation: rock picking, cultivating, back pack flaming, weeding, and working with drip irrigation
- Foliar spraying of crops for feeding and pest control
- Specific techniques for harvesting, cleaning, and storing different vegetables
- Tractor and implement safety, maintenance, hookup, calibration and operation
- Farm Upkeep: mowing tractor ways and grass borders, weed-whacking, building, repairs, painting
- Working with volunteers—adults and children
Internship Starts: 04-03-2017
Internship Ends: 11-30-2017
Number of Apprentices: 4
App Deadline: when all positions are filled
Minimum Length of Stay: 8 months, but will consider shorter commitments
Meals: We will eat a shared vegetarian/vegan potluck lunch together at least once a week with vegetables from the farm.
Skills Desired: Farming requires a strong work ethic. The work is physical and challenging but growing food for families can be a very uplifting experience. We require a valid drivers license and the ability to lift at least 50lbs.
School Lunch Organic Farm & CSA
69 Stephen Park Road
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Please use email contact first!
School Lunch Farm Vision:
School Lunch Farm is founded on the desire create healthier soil and community by growing nutrient dense organic vegetables and fruits, heirloom and specialty crops for community supported agriculture shareholders, schools, low-income community members, farm markets, and restaurants. v
School Lunch Farm offers programs to educate children and adults to be stewards of the earth through organic growing, understanding of where food comes from, how it’s grown, healthy eating, and the effects of food production on the environment.