Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts
Slip Away Farm is a small-scale vegetable and flower farm located on Chappaquiddick Island on Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts. We are proud to be growing entirely on conservation lands, continuing a long history of agriculture on the Island. Our mission is to grow high-quality, organically produced vegetables and flowers while also building community for our island neighbors. We strive to maintain a financially, environmentally, and personally sustainable business.
We supply a 65-member vegetable CSA, a 30-member flower CSA, a weekend farm stand and a weekly farmer’s market booth at the West Tisbury market. We also sell produce and flowers wholesale to several Martha’s Vineyard businesses.
For the 2017 farm season, we are looking for a full time individual to join our field crew. This job is on average 40 hours a week Tuesday through Saturday June through late August or early September. Because we are a fairly small crew (only six of us at the most), this individual will experience all aspects of farming: seeding, weeding, harvesting, planting, pruning, etc. We want you to walk away from a season at Slip Away with a firm understanding of the methods used in small agriculture.
Requirements for this position include:
- A valid drivers license
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and willingness to work in all weather conditions.
- A positive attitude, flexibility, eagerness to learn, and good team spirit.
- Ability to work efficiently alone or with others.
- Willingness to prepare crew lunch once a week.
- Ability to find housing on Martha’s Vineyard or Chappy. This can be very challenging in the summer season.
An ideal candidate would also have the following characteristics, although these are not required:
- Prior farm or other outdoor work experience.
- Experience or interest in working with flowers.
How to Apply:
Send a current resume, list of three references (at least two work related, one may be a personal reference), and a short statement outlining your interest in this position and your agricultural or outdoor experience to Lily at email@example.com by March 15.