2017 Apprenticeship at Siena Farms
We are seeking hard-working, committed, positive individuals who are motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2017 team. Our apprentices participate in many of the farm’s daily operations, including facets of production, harvest, and retail. This traditional, hands-on apprenticeship provides the opportunity to be an integral, productive part of our fast-paced, for-profit farm. Apprentices gain knowledge, farming skills, and professional work-experience to help them prepare for the next steps in their farming careers.
The apprentice position is seasonal, with flexible start and end dates between April and December. Hours range from 40-60 hours per week. Applicants should be prepared to lift upwards of 50lbs repeatedly and work in all weather conditions. Previous farming experience is preferred but not required. Compensation includes hourly wage and farm vegetables. We do not offer on-farm housing.
- Planting, including greenhouse propagation and mechanical transplanting
- Cultivation/weed-control by hand and hoe
- Field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing, and thinning
- Daily harvest of our 100+ varieties of vegetables, fresh herbs, and sunflowers
- Post-harvest handling, including washing, curing, packing, and transporting produce
Sales & Distribution
- Assisting with sales, customer service, and farmers market set-up and break-down
- Preparation and packing of wholesale orders for restaurant deliveries
- Preparation and packing of CSA shares for pickup and distribution
- Participation in farm outreach events such as CSA member farm tours and volunteer days
Practical Training Sessions
- Participation in bi-weekly EMass CRAFT farm-tours
- Orientation to core farming topics and systems, including crop-planning, field-planning, marketing, soil fertility, pest and disease management, irrigation, and farm equipment.
- Group field walks with Farmer Chris and farm managers to learn from the fields and crops themselves
Please email a letter of interest and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org We look forward to hearing from you!