Job Description for Garden Production Manager
Faith, Hope & Love Productions
Faith Hope and Love Productions is a conglomeration of 2 production gardens with 2 hoop houses and an orchard. We are looking for a passionate and experienced individual to coordinate our garden operations. The ideal candidate is organized, resourceful, driven and enthusiastic about our mission and committed to being a key player in our organization. This is a full time position.
Vision of our Farming: Faith, Hope & Love Productions serves to inspire and invoke a deeper sense of awe and wonder toward Creation Care Theology through means of localized food production and neighborhood beautification. By including community stakeholders to participate in this work, we aim to improve access to healthy foods, share and distribute appropriate agricultural knowledge to our residents and foster powerfull self-sufficiency habits to better equip rising stewards of His Kingdom.
Mission: To cultivate a new generation of eaters and growers in our neighborhood and abroad by expanding production, creating good food advocacy and teaching and empowering others to join us.
The role of the Garden Production Manager is to manage the maintenance and production of the gardens and orchard known as Faith, Hope & Love productions. The manager will oversee teen workers, interns and volunteers who will be working in the gardens. The manager will also coordinate the distribution and sale of produce upon harvesting.
Oversee the food production gardens
- Manage daily upkeep, planning, planting, maintenance & harvest of vegetable, herbs and flowers;
- Participate in the management of the budget and sales records;
- Communicate regularly with clients to fulfill orders, harvest and plan subsequent plantings based on their needs.
Lead and manage in the implementation of garden plans and maintenance duties including but not limited to:
- Performing general garden maintenance –debris removal, lawn care, weeding, pest control;
- Repair of irrigation systems and hoop houses.
- Gardening experience, education or degree
- Experience with garden maintenance and use of garden tools and equipment
- A positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Passion for sustainable food production
- Able to lift and carry 50 pounds
- A PASSION for the mission of CDC
- Must be faith-friendly and able to accept those who pray in meetings and elsewhere.
- Knowledge of the Detroit market preferred
- Enjoy working outdoors
- Know how to use gardening equipment and have the ability to maintain it