2017 Gathering Together Farm Cultivator & Market Driver
Gathering Together Farm is hiring a full-time seasonal (April – November) employee to work in our vegetable cultivation program and farmers market sales. We are searching for individuals passionate about organic farming willing to work hard, efficiently, and consistently for producing and selling organic crops.
The work schedule will be on-farm weed control operations Tuesday-Friday, and a 13 hour day on Saturday driving a box truck and selling produce at farmers markets. Successful candidates will learn nuances of weed control and market sales strategies of over 50 transplanted and direct-seeded vegetable crops.
On Tuesday – Friday, the candidate will communicate with the cultivation manager for prioritizing field tasks, and operating tools and machinery including cultivator tractors, rototillers, weed wackers, wheel & hand hoes, and propane flame weeders.
Saturdays will consist of driving a 35,000 GVW manual transmission box truck to and from the Portland Metro area, and meeting a local crew of employees to sell vegetables at farmers markets. This includes unloading the truck, setting up the booth with artistic flair, and engaging customers with tact and warmth.
- Mechanical aptitude and knowledge of basic gasoline engine function and troubleshooting.
- Experience operating small engines and tractors.
- General knowledge of vegetable crops.
- Ability to drive a manual transmission truck with air brakes. The successful candidate will obtain a Farm Endorsement from the DMV.
- Independence and self-motivation
- Communication, collaboration, and teamwork
- Flexibility and problem-solving
- Stress management and composure
- The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, reach, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, and push, pull, and lift items weighting 50 lbs.
- Ability to wear a backpack-mounted propane tank weighing up to 45 lbs.
- The position requires manual dexterity, auditory and visual skills, and the ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures.
- Hourly wages depending on experience
- Farm Lunch and vegetables
About Gathering Together Farm:
GTF has been farming certified organic vegetables in Philomath OR for over 30 years, and has become an imbedded component of the local food system community. Owned and operated by husband and wife John Eveland and Sally Brewer, the farm employees a large number of people in production and distribution of our produce. Visit us online at http://www.gatheringtogetherfarm.com.
How to Apply: