Bronx, New York
50 East 168th Street, Bronx, New York 10452 www.WHEDco.org
Title: Farm Manager – PAID – Part-Time 2017 Farming Season
Location: Intervale Green, 1330 Intervale Avenue, Bronx, NY 10459
Reports to: Sustainability & Project Manager
WHEDco is a community development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to nondiscrimination based on prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
Since 2010, WHEDco’s rooftop urban farm (approximately 1,600 square feet), and ground-level greenhouse, have been sustainability features of Intervale Green, providing economic, social, and environmental benefits to the community and environment. The rooftop urban farm has promoted healthy eating in the Bronx, as hundreds of pounds of food have been grown and distributed to residents of the building. The rooftop farm also reduces storm water runoff by capturing hundreds of gallons of storm water that would otherwise contribute to NYC’s combined sewer overflow. As a type of green roof, the rooftop farm also enhances the energy-efficiency of Intervale Green by absorbing solar radiation during the hotter summer months, allowing the building to remain cooler and reducing air- conditioning use. The Farm Manager will tend to certain plots on the rooftop farm and in the greenhouse to grow food for residents in the building and potential local partners, as well as engage residents to manage their own plots. The Farm Manager is an hourly, part-time position and is for the 2017 farming season only. The position will require approximately 5 to 20 hours per week, depending on the season. The work schedule is flexible each week with prior notification and approval. The Farm Manager must be able to work independently while reporting weekly to the Sustainability & Project Manager
- In cooperation with tenants and with support from the Sustainability & Project Manager, assume primary responsibility for planning, planting, maintaining and cultivating WHEDco’s rooftop farm and ground-level greenhouse.
- Execute and oversee farm policies and procedures.
- Enhance and maintain the compost system, assess and implement water efficiency measures, including a new irrigation system.
- Record and submit weekly reports of tasks, hours worked, progress, and activities/ events; maintain data in an Excel spreadsheets and online database, as applicable; meet weekly with Sustainability & Project Manager to review.
- Hold regular farm hours for residents, as well as weekly produce giveaways / demos in the building lobby.
- Plan additional periodic farm events (e.g. Harvest Festival).
- In cooperation with Sustainability & Project Manager, coordinate educational programming with community partners.
- Prepare information about produce (Spanish translation can be provided), as well as draft flyers marketing farm events.
- Coordinate with WHEDco’s Communications Department to document and promote farm events and activities, including on the WHEDco farm blog.
- 3-5 years of gardening experience and demonstrated knowledge of horticulture, experience organizing youth and/or adults (preferably in a garden setting) a plus.
- Enthusiastic approach to tenant and community engagement.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Cooking skills; comfortable teaching and presenting to groups.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and ability to use online database and email.
- Ability to lift and carry farm supplies and produce; ability to crouch, bend and kneel.
- Organized, enthusiastic, and resourceful problem-solver.
- Fluent or conversational in Spanish a plus.
Competitive Pay Based on Experience.
PAID – Part-Time/Seasonal Position (Farming Season 2017, plus planning and wind-down)
To respond, send a cover letter and resume to the following:
Attnention: Sustainability & Project Manager