2017 Organic Vegetable Farm Worker Job Description
Ripley Farm is a five acre MOFGA Certified Organic vegetable farm located in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine. We cultivate a wide diversity of vegetables, flowers, perennials, and herbs, which we sell primarily through our 100+ member summer CSA, our 40+ member Winter CSA, and wholesale accounts. We place a special emphasis on growing, delivering, and eating the best quality vegetables and would love for you to join our team. If you are interested in working hard, eating well, and producing healthy food, this is the job for you!
Timeframe: We are seeking to hire part time or full time seasonal employees from mid-June through early November 2017. There is potential for continuing part time work through the winter months starting in December.
Work description: We are a small family-run farm. Our employees are important to our success and work closely with the owners to complete daily tasks. The primary job responsibilities of our farm workers are:
- Harvesting vegetables by hand
- Washing and packing vegetables for sale
- Weeding by hand and with hand tools
- Hand transplanting of seedlings into the field
- Possible delivery of vegetables
- Possible tractor work
Hours: We are hiring for up to 40 hours per week. Additional hours may be available in late September through the end of October should you desire to increase. Work hours are 7am to 4pm with a one hour unpaid lunch (bring your own) taken around midday.
Compensation: Hourly pay is commensurate with experience level. Employees are encouraged to take home any second-quality vegetables that cannot be sold.
- Farming or comparable manual labor experience preferred
- Tractor experience a plus
- Punctuality and reliability
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Attention to detail
- Stamina to maintain fast and accurate working pace all day
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Valid driver’s license
- Reliable transportation
How to apply:
No phone calls, please. We are accepting applications until the positions are filled and will only consider complete applications. If you are interested in working at Ripley Farm, please email Gene at ripleyfarm @ gmail . com the following items:
- A one-page letter introducing yourself and describing your availability (which days of the week you are able to work) and why you want the farm worker job at Ripley Farm;
- A list of recent/relevant work history (or a resume) including names of previous employers, duration worked, and primary job responsibilities;
- Three work-related references with job title and contact information.