Wobbly Cart Farm is Hiring for 2017!
Field Crew, Field Manager, Pack Shed Manager and PT Delivery Driver positions available-
Founded in 2005 by farm owner/operators Joseph Gabiou and Asha McElfresh, Wobbly Cart Farm currently farms 10 acres in Rochester, WA to serve our CSA, wholesale and farmers market customers. Our Farm crew consists of 10 full-time summer season employees with limited work continuing year round.
Our operation consists of a 150+ member summer CSA, and 80 member Fall CSA, wholesale accounts in Olympia and Portland, and the Chehalis Farmers Market. Crew members are involved in most aspects of production and distribution at the farm. We place a strong emphasis on efficiency, product quality, and customer satisfaction.
Field Crew Description
Field Crew will be responsible for:
- Manual field work, not limited to hoeing, hand-weeding, transplanting, thinning, trellising, irrigation set up.
- Harvest, washing, and packing vegetables for weekly market, CSA and wholesale accounts.
Compensation: commensurate with experience. The work schedule is variable with the seasons. Field Crew can expect to work approximately 32-40 hrs/wk in the spring and late fall, and 40-50 hrs/wk in the peak of the growing season. Start times vary, expect days beginning at 6 am and/or putting in 10 hour days in the height of the season.
- Ideal field crew applicants are smart, tough, possess a strong interest in food and farming, and enjoy working on a team. The ability to be efficient, consistent, and detail oriented are tremendously important. Additionally, applicants must posses a good attitude and willingness to learn.
- Must be able to lift at least 50# easily, kneel on the ground for up to 8 hours, and have experience working outside in inclement weather.
- Strong preference is given to applicants who are interested in a 2-year commitment.
Field Manager Description
Description: The Field Manager is responsible for the training and management of 8 to 10 field crew members. This includes working closely with the crew throughout the day to oversee and set the pace for harvest, washing, packing, quality control and efficiency. Other tasks include overseeing irrigation schedules, pest, disease and weed management, and coordinating with the Packing Shed Manager.
- Oversee and set the pace for field activities including: weeding, harvesting, transplanting, thinning, trellising, row cover.
- Compile and post harvest lists and delegate to crew members. Communicate updates and coordinate with the Pack Shed Manager to manage harvest flow.
- Ensure proper post-harvest handling of all produce to protect freshness and quality from field to pack shed.
- Identify and communicate with farm owner to quickly manage pest, disease, and weed issues.
- Assist owner with occasional seeding and tractor work: tillage, weed cultivation, and mowing.
- Manage irrigation using both drip and hand-line systems.
- Assist owner with winter tasks (planning, repairs, ongoing harvest).
- Make the farm season awesome, safe and fun!
Compensation: field produce and pay commensurate with experience. The Field Manager can expect to work approximately 25-40 hrs/wk in the winter, 30-40 hrs/wk in the spring, and 45-50+ hrs/wk in the peak of the growing season. Start times vary, expect days beginning at 6 am and/or putting in 10+ hour days in the height of the season.
- Three seasons production vegetable farm work and other crew management experience.
- Solid tractor experience as related to diversified vegetable farming.
- Excellent communication skills and positive attitude. Spanish a plus.
- Spreadsheet and general computer experience. Smart phone required.
- Able to work independently, be very self-motivated and have a strong work ethic.
- Able to take direction as well as problem-solve independently.
- Able to work in any weather and lift over 50 lbs repeatedly.
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- 2 year commitment
- Basic Spanish
Please inquiry about other positions available by emailing email@example.com
Send resume and brief interest letter in email to firstname.lastname@example.org