Various Locations, New Jersey
The Mission of the City Green Farms and Markets Program is to increase access to fresh, locally grown produce in urban communities of Northern New Jersey and to foster an understanding of food systems, the benefits of locally grown organic produce and the importance of healthy food choices. The Veggie Mobile is City Green’s mobile farm stand that works to bring fresh fruits and vegetables to neighborhoods that need it the most. The Veggie Mobile has been in operation since 2016 and has had great success in increasing access and affordability for fresh, locally grown foods. In
2016, the Veggie Mobile visited 19 partner sites in 8 different municipalities, and its reach is expanding in 2017 with a growing number of partner sites. We are looking for an enthusiastic, hardworking, and customer service oriented Mobile Market Operator to join our team.
The Mobile Market Operator is an important member of City Green’s Farms and Markets team. The Veggie Mobile is out on the road 4-5 days each week, making multiple stops each day in neighborhoods that lack access to fresh fruits and vegetables. Veggie Mobile farm stand stops include senior centers, city halls, WIC offices, and more. It is the Mobile Market Operator’s responsibility to drive the mobile farm stand to each site location, set up the farm stand, complete customer transactions while providing excellent customer service and information about the fruits and vegetables for sale, and break down the farm stand at the end of each market stop.
- Driving City Green’s Veggie Mobile farm stand to a variety of locations 4-5 days per week, including senior centers, city halls, and more
- Loading and unloading crates of fresh fruits and vegetables onto and off of the Veggie Mobile
- Setting up and breaking down farm stands and displays according to City Green standards
- Ensuring that produce and other food products are stored, displayed, and handled properly by market staff
- Completing cash and federal benefit transactions (SNAP, WIC, FMNP) at all Veggie Mobile market sites
- Implementing a Double Value Coupon Incentive program at all Veggie Mobile market sites for federal benefit customers
- Collecting and recording transactional data for each market site
- Providing friendly and respectful customer service to all Veggie Mobile shoppers
- Attending outreach events such as health fairs and local festivals
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Must be comfortable driving and parking a box truck in urban areas. Valid driver’s license required.
- Familiarity with food access, locally grown produce, organic agriculture, and food systems
- Must have excellent customer service skills and be comfortable working with diverse customers
- Comfortable completing and recording monetary and federal benefit transactions in fast-paced settings
- Friendly and positive attitude required
- Comfortable working outside in all weather conditions and capable of lifting 40-50 lbs
- Must be available on select nights and weekends as needed
- Familiarity with federal benefits (SNAP, WIC, FMNP) a plus
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred
- Market training will be provided.
- 2 positions available, ~30 hrs/week each.
- Driver must be available on select weekends and evenings.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to:
171 Grove Street
Clifton, NJ 07013