Fellowship Opportunity: Farm Fellow
Gardens for Health is seeking a dynamic and forward-thinking recent graduate to join our Agriculture Team in Ndera, Rwanda. Our Farm Fellow will provide thought leadership, and day-to-day management support on our 5-acre farm in Ndera, Rwanda.
Who We Are
We are a growing non-profit organization whose innovative approach works to bridge the gap between health and agriculture. We are based in Rwanda, with an office in Boston, and our core program works to integrate agricultural support and comprehensive health education into the clinical treatment of malnutrition. We currently work in partnership with 18 health centers in two districts of Rwanda. This year, we are working directly with 2,160 families – providing them with the seeds, knowledge, and support to help prevent and overcome chronic malnutrition.
As we grow our impact, our work is grounded in collaboration with, and a commitment to, the families and communities with whom we partner. Nowhere is this commitment more evident than on our demonstration and innovation farm. In many ways, our farm has been the heart and soul of our work; it is our head office and training site, source of many inputs for our community lunch program and health center program, in addition to various revenue generating initiatives and a “living laboratory” where we are able to grow inputs for our seed package and the accompanying agriculture education we provide to families in order to ensure that we are setting them up for long-term success.
Our Opportunity for You
In April 2015 we purchased our land, and with this new purchase comes an opportunity to think strategically about the role our farm can play now, and into the future. As we strive to balance research, food production for our community lunch program, multiplication of inputs for our home garden package, and space for training and staff development, our farm planning process has become a central focus of our agriculture team.
We are looking for a recent graduate who is an experienced and passionate farmer to work alongside our Farm Manager to think strategically about ways to use our land to advance our mission while serving our community.
As our Farm Fellow you will have the opportunity to do the following:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of our farm plan, in the short and long term. Think creatively and strategically about how the farm can contribute to and offset the costs of the various programs it supports (Community Lunch, Health Center Program)
- Propose new ideas for the use of the land to advance our mission and contribute to our organizational knowledge
- Work with our Agriculture team to design and oversee the implementation of agronomic trials on our farm and play a lead role in data collection
- Track and analyze farm data to make data driven cropping and planting decisions
- Manage day-to-day farm activities such as planting, weeding, harvesting, coppicing and integrated pest management
- Learn and experience how a farm functions in tropical Africa, and work with native crops and trees, pests, growing schedules and daily farm dilemmas that differ from a traditional for-profit temperate climate farm
- Design and execute a plan to increase monetization of certain outputs on the farm and establish retail and wholesale relationships
- Work closely with US Operations Manager to synthesize and present data related to the farm to support grant writing and reporting processes as well as social media and dialogue with donors
Are You the Right Fit?
- Vision: You share our belief that growing healthy food can and should be a part of healthcare.
- Relevant Work Experience: You have meaningful work experience in agriculture, including experience working on and/or managing a farm. Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa and/or experience with formal research methodology is a plus.
- Social and Emotional Intelligence: You have a demonstrated ability to work with others across cultures and backgrounds with respect and collegiality.
- Sense of Adventure: You are ready to spend 12 months living and working on a farm in Rwanda, and understand that electricity, hot water, and internet access will all fail at some point during your tenure.
- Alignment with our Core Values: Your work style is grounded in a sense of collaboration and mutual respect, and you operate from a place of compassion and empathy for your colleagues and with the families we serve.
- Flexibility: You know how to roll with the punches, and can find the positive in even the most challenging situations
- Education: You are a recent graduate with a degree in Agriculture, or a related field
- Language acquisition: You have demonstrated experience for acquiring new languages. French and/or Kinyarwanda is a plus.
Your Location: You will be based in Ndera, Rwanda, about 30 minutes outside of the capital city of Kigali. You will be living on the farm full-time, and will be one of the few staff members (including security) who will be present in the overnight hours.
What we will provide: This a 12-month fellowship opportunity we will provide housing on our farm, daily lunch, and all the fresh produce you can harvest. Please note that relocation costs will not be covered.
If you are ready to apply : Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: “Farm Fellow.” In your letter, tell us why you are the right fit for this role. If we are interested, we will respond within 2 weeks to set up an initial phone interview. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. The farm fellow will need to be in Rwanda to begin working by July 10th, 2017.
We look forward to meeting you!