The City of Somerville seeks a Market Manager for the Somerville Mobile Farmers’ Market. It is a program led by Shape Up Somerville (SUS), which supports SUS’s mission to improve equitable access to healthy and affordable food. SUS is an initiative within the City of Somerville’s Health and Human Services Department. We are looking to fill this position from late May through mid-November.
- Weekly and season-end accounting
- Reconcile sales weekly and keep orderly files on City drive downloaded from POS system
- Create and present preliminary season-end totals and trends
- Set produce prices as needed
- Weekly ordering and aggregation logistics
- Order produce weekly based on sales trends and budget
- Manage aggregation logistics such as produce pickup and drop-off sites and times as well as orderly storage for easy loading on market days
- Drive the market van
- Meet farmers for produce pick-up at various sites throughout Somerville
- Drive the van on market days
- Help manage market operations and communication
- Report weekly on market; news, needs, sales trends and customer feedback
- Cover cashier role during shifts when necessary
- High-level volunteer management
- Find and coordinate volunteers, delegate at-market management of volunteers to others when necessary
Dates of Hire: late May – mid-November
Market Season: July 14th – October 21st
Market Schedule: – Friday 9-5:30p and Saturday 9-4:30p. Must be available to work most weekends during the market season as well as 1-2 half days during the week.
Pay: $20/hour, 16-18 hrs pre & post market season with flexible hours. 30 hours during market season.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record and experience driving vans
- Management, administration or business background
Knowledge, Abilities and Skill
Knowledge: Retail or customer service knowledge. Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural and linguistic diversity. Produce knowledge (farming, health background).
Abilities: Flexible character and enjoys working with people. Ability to lift upwards of 50 lbs.
Skill: Bilingual or Multilingual skills preferred.
Please send a brief cover letter and resume by Tuesday, April 18th 2017 to Lisa Robinson at email@example.com
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.