Seasonal, Full-Time, At-will employee
Dates of Employment: May – October
Land’s Sake is a nonprofit farm located in Weston, MA that strives to connect individuals to the land to build community and inspire lifelong stewardship. Land’s Sake is currently looking for a Farmstand Manager (an approximately 7 month position) to run the retail side of the Farmstand, as well as oversee the hiring, scheduling and management of summer Farmstand staff. The seasonal Farmstand serves as the hub of the farm from June through October, and each year we assemble an awesome team to sell our vegetables, guide and educate our community, occasionally battle chipmunks, and have a lot of fun doing it. Being the face of the farm, the proper running of the Farmstand is key in maintaining our relations with the public and helping coordinate many of the events that we hold on the farm every year. The Farmstand Manager reports directly to the Executive Director and collaborates with the Farm Manager and Education staff.
A successful Farmstand Manager will like people and being outside as well as be efficient and detail oriented in their work. In order to communicate with customers as to how they can become involved with activities within the organization, farmstand staff are trained about the farm’s many offerings. Great customer service skills, an ability to work quickly and efficiently, and a good sense of humor are vital this position. Interest in sustainable agriculture, local food systems, and/or cooking is a plus.
- First and foremost, the Farmstand Manager is the representative of the farm store and should be bright, cheerful and excel in customer service and salesmanship.
- Hires, trains, schedules, and manages all Farmstand labor. The manager should instruct the seasonal staff in what the farm has to offer and instill in them excellent customer service skills. Every Farmstand employee is a sales person.
- On a daily basis, sets up and breaks down the Farmstand and maintains produce quality throughout the day (i.e. temperature control, hydration).
- Communicates with the Farm Manager regarding what will be available for sale. The Farmstand Manager keeps the produce displays up to the agreed upon standards.
- Oversees the ordering, procuring, and maintaining of inventory for the Farmstand and update two inventory systems, weekly.
- Learns produce varieties, growing standards and Farmstand products and works with the Farm Manager to select produce and quantities for the Farmstand.
- Operates cash register, scales, and occasionally share cash counting duties
- Ensures that unsurpassed service is being given by Farmstand employees
- Handles complex customer service issues.
- Understands what is selling and what is not through analyzing and interpreting sales reports. Responsible for bringing in new items to increase profits and cutting items that do not sell.
- Markets the items available in the Farmstand by creating signage, weekly email communications and posting on Facebook, Twitter and our signage outside the store.
- Updates the POS system and understands its inner workings to maintain proper records of sales. This also includes understanding what we should be charging for our products.
- Maintains the cleanliness and organization of the Farmstand, including the area around the stand.
- Packs up the Farmstand for the season at the end of October.
- Plans and executes the Pre-Thanksgiving sale for November.
- At least 2 years of retail experience as a sales person and 1 year of experience in management.
- Flexibility in your schedule with the ability to work at least one weekend day per week.
- Prior experience with a CSA or the wide variety of vegetables we grow is necessary. Should be a big supporter of sustainable, integrated and organic growing practices for vegetables.
- Must enjoy a fast-paced environment when we are busy and have the ability to create projects and tasks for those times when we are slow.
- Able to repeatedly bend and lift 50 lbs throughout the day.
- Be willing and able to work in all weather conditions, stand for long periods of time
Hours and Compensation
The Farmstand opens the first week of June. It is open 6 days a week through the end of October. There is one additional sales day in November. This position begins in early- to mid-May to clean and stock up the Farmstand and continues as a full-time, 30-40hrs/wk, position until the stand closes at the end of October. There is some flexibility with the schedule depending on the staff schedule, but the Farmstand Manager is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the farmstand is staffed during all open hours. There is the possibility of hiring an Assistant Farmstand Manager to help fill necessary hours. Compensation is hourly and commensurate with experience.
- Dependent on experience
- As much free produce as you can eat
- Discount on other products sold at the Farmstand
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org