JOIN ARCADIA’S MOBILE MARKET TEAM!
We are looking for an experienced driver to drive & operate our markets for the 2017 season!
Help bring local, affordable, fresh food to food insecure neighborhoods across DC!
Arcadia Center for Sustainable Food and Agriculture is a non-profit organization serving the Washington, DC-area. We raise awareness about healthy food and its sources, and establish innovative connections between sustainable local farms and consumers.
Arcadia is committed to increasing access to healthy, local, affordable food. We do this by applying the Food Truck model to Food Access.
Arcadia’s Mobile Markets are a retrofitted school bus and box truck that double as farmers’ markets on wheels. We take our markets to communities that don’t have grocery stores or affordable, readily available farm-fresh food.
By growing much of the produce ourselves at Arcadia Farm, we can offer affordable prices. By accepting SNAP/EBT (formerly known as “Food Stamps”), WIC and Senior FMNP vouchers – and by doubling the value of these benefits through a “Bonus Bucks” program – we are increasing food assistance redemption for healthier, unprocessed foods. And by making Mobile Market stops in the communities where SNAP/EBT, WIC and Senior FMNP beneficiaries live and work, we are able to effectively reach DC and Virginia residents who are in need of affordable food.
Arcadia is a small but growing organization, and the right candidate will have the opportunity to grow with us and become an integral part of our Mobile Market program. You will be the right candidate if you are able to combine a passion for building a strong, local and sustainable food system with the practical skills and experience listed below.
Arcadia is hiring a seasonal, full-time Mobile Market Driver/Operator. The job will entail driving one of the Mobile Market vehicles to and from market stops throughout the DC-metro area, and working with other Arcadia staff to operate the market stops. The Mobile Market Headquarters is located at 1800 Perry Street NE, 20018, approximately 1 mile east of the Brookland Metro Station. Duties include:
- Setting-up and breaking down the market (i.e. tables, tents, shelves, etc.)
- Conducting transactions, handling payments, and recordkeeping
- Restocking products and maintaining the market’s appearance
- Building rapport and mutual respect with our customers
- Assisting in cooking demonstrations and outreach
- Coordinating operations and outreach with partner organizations
- Managing staff and volunteers within the market
- Work closely with Mobile Market Director and Mobile Market Manager
- Knowledge of and a passion for local and sustainable food, food access, and public health
- Excellent geographic knowledge of and experience driving in Washington, DC preferred
- Experience driving a large commercial vehicle preferred
- A clean driving record
- A Servsafe or Prometric Food Safety Manager Certificate preferred
- DOT Medical Exam certificate preferred
- Ability to cheerfully work long days, potentially beginning early or ending late
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Punctual and reliable
- Customer oriented with experience in a retail setting
- Experience working in the food industry (farming, restaurant, grocery, etc.) preferred, but not required
- Community and team oriented
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Professional in demeanor, highly organized, and accountable
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment with competing demands
- Spanish fluency a plus but not required.
The Mobile Market Driver/Operator position will run from early May through the end of October 2017 (approximately 34 weeks)
The Driver/Operator will work up to 40 hours a week.
Mobile Market stops are Tuesday through Saturday. Once hired, the Driver/Operator will coordinate with the Mobile Market Director to establish a regular work schedule that optimizes everybody’s availability and the market’s staffing needs.
The Mobile Market Driver/Operator will be paid $18/hour.
Please e-mail your resume, cover letter, status of DOT Medical Card and Food Safety Manager Certification or any questions to Jeremy Mauck, Mobile Market Director, at Jeremy@Arcadiafood.org.
Applications reviewed on rolling basis until position is filled. Position starts in early May.
Arcadia is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate in the terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on account of race, age, color, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, or religion or otherwise as may be prohibited by federal and state law.