New Paltz, New York
Twin Star Orchards in New Paltz, NY is seeking a farm manager to oversee the day-to-day management of all orchard operations. Twin Star Orchards is the home orchard for Brooklyn Cider House, an award-winning craft hard cider company. Twin Star features a mix of dessert and heirloom cider apples. The farm’s underlying philosophy is that “ugly apples taste better.” This philosophy translates into low-impact farming practices that produce “ugly” yet delicious fruit for our hard cider and for our pick-your-own business in the fall. With a small but dedicated team, the farm manager is responsible for carrying out the mission of ugly apples on the 200-acre property.
- Manage crew of 4-5 orchard workers
- Coordinate pest management, pruning, thinning, trellising, harvesting with the support of a consultant and crew leader
- Maintain detailed records
- Ensure equipment and grounds are well maintained
- Develop market for apples
- Capital planning
- General administration including payroll, bookkeeping, etc.
- 2+ years of farm management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture of a related field is preferred but not required
- Extensive knowledge of apples, fruit, or stonefruit
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Excellent communication skills (Spanish language ability is a plus)
- Passion for sustainable agriculture and quality food (appreciation for hard cider is a plus)
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with other members of the team
- Pesticide applicator license or desire to secure licensing
Work Schedule and Compensation
This is a permanent, salaried position averaging 50 hrs/wk, but can range from less than 40/wk to 60/wk, depending on season, Monday throughFriday or Monday through Saturdays during harvest. Competitive salary commensurate with experience. No benefits are available at this time.
155 N Ohioville Road, New Paltz, NY 12561
Send résumé, cover letter, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain opened until filled, with a target start date of May 15, 2017.