Farm Aid is looking for a full-time Farm Advocate to join our small staff in Cambridge, MA. Farm Aid is a national nonprofit organization working to build a vibrant, family farm-centered system of agriculture in America. Since 1985, Farm Aid has raised more than $50 million to support programs that help farmers thrive, expand the reach of the Good Food Movement, take action to change the dominant system of industrial agriculture and promote food from family farms.
The Farm Advocate serves as Farm Aid’s primary farmer service provider, working one-on-one with farmers, primarily via the phone and email, to address their unique resource needs through quality referrals and emotional support. The Farm Advocate also guides strategic development and management of the Farm Advocate Link in order to expand the capacity of farm service providers nationwide. The Farm Advocate provides a listening ear and critical connection to farmers and rural communities on the ground, offering a key perspective in Farm Aid’s assessment of the needs of farmers nationwide and the availability of services to meet those needs. The Farm Advocate fills a valued and essential role at Farm Aid, interacting with a wide variety of farmers, farm organizations and service provides across the country.
Primary Responsibilities include:
Manage Farm Aid’s farmer services program, including: the 1-800 farmer hotline, email@example.com email, Farm Aid’s online Farmer Resource Network (farmaid.org/ideas), farmer emergency grants and Farm Aid’s disaster response and relief efforts.
- Develop and manage the Farm Advocate Link (farmaid.org/advocates), a national network devoted to recruiting, training and supporting a new generation of Farm Advocates, and serve as a key liaison to Farm Aid’s core partners on this program. Working with our partners, drive the Farm Advocate Link by developing Farm Advocate training programs, coordinating national trainings and developing new resources.
- Engage in ongoing learning of farmer resource offerings, both governmental and nongovernmental, with a focus on beginning and socially disadvantaged farmers, crisis and disaster assistance, financial resources, legal support and mental health offerings. Translate into quality referrals for farmers and increased capacity of farmer service providers nationwide.
- Monitor, evaluate and report the impact of Farm Aid’s farmer services programming.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum 3 years experience in the food and agriculture sector or the social services sector, working directly with farmers or individuals in need of support;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly active listening; ability to demonstrate compassion for people dealing with challenging situations and to problem solve with them;
- Demonstrated aptitude and/or experience in program development and implementation;
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with people from a wide and diverse range of backgrounds;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain professional boundaries and handle confidential information;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Experience in or demonstrated ability to document and track data and information;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required (Word, Excel);
- Ability and willingness for periodic national travel.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience working directly with farmers and rural communities;
- Five or more years experience in relevant one-on-one case management in non-profit/social work setting and/or experience in community organizing that requires one-on-one engagement with people.;
- Experience in program monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment;
- Experience building partnerships and demonstrated group facilitation skills to guide vision to action and accomplish shared work;
- Mental health and crisis training, agricultural mediation training or other trainings critical to effective farm advocacy;
- Proficiency with FileMaker Pro or other CRM/database management system;
- A sense of humor, integrity, and an optimistic outlook.
If you have these qualities and are interested, please apply by June 30, 2017. Early applications are strongly encouraged, as applications will be considered as they are received. Please submit a cover letter indicating where you learned of this opportunity and highlighting your experience and skills relevant to the listed qualifications, a current resume and a writing sample. Candidates invited to compete for the position may be asked to complete sample projects. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Farm Advocate” in the subject line. No calls please.
Farm Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage applications from people historically underrepresented in this work, including but not limited to people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ individuals.
For more information about Farm Aid, please visit http://www.farmaid.org.