FRESHFARM is a non-profit, founded in 1997, which promotes sustainable agriculture and improves food access and equity in the Mid-Atlantic Region. We do this by operating producer-only farmers markets that provide vital economic opportunities to local farmers and food producers and through innovative philanthropic outreach programs that educate the public about food and related environmental issues.
OUR MARKETS AND PROGRAMS
FRESHFARM operates 15 producer-only farmers markets with more than 150 farmers and producers and is the largest operator of ‘producer only’ farmers markets in the DELMARVA region. Our markets attract more than 450,000 shoppers annually. In addition, FRESHFARM operates FoodPrints – a food and nutrition education program, and conducts a variety of other education and outreach activities. These programs inform residents about sustainable food, health, nutrition, and community engagement through the lens of locally produced food. They promote organically grown products and help make freshly grown products available to people of all income levels.
FRESHFARM is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization with a current full-time staff of 11, approximately 25 part-time employees and an operating budget of over $2 million. More information is available at http://www.freshfarm.org.
FRESHFARM is seeking an Executive Director (ED) who is an experienced executive-level leader with a strong track record of success in organization management (non-profit management a strong plus). The ED is responsible for managing the senior staff, who in turn oversees the managers and volunteers in the operation of our markets and programs. The ED is responsible for close monitoring and coordination of financial and fundraising operations of the organization to meet financial targets, developing and implementing HR policies, and modeling desired organizational behavior. The ability to manage people effectively, foster collaboration and build a positive, high performance culture is essential.
- Communicate the organization’s vision to stakeholders; lead the team in implementation of that vision;
- Work collaboratively with the Board and staff, and liaise between the two, to achieve Board approved financial and operational targets;
- Meet regularly with the Board keeping the membership abreast of operations, achievements and all areas of success and challenge; receive feedback and modify approaches accordingly; make recommendations and communicate regularly with the Board regarding plans for development, budgeting, resource allocation, tracking and reporting;
- Drive all aspects of fundraising and philanthropic development;
- Oversee the hiring, training, workflow, retention, performance appraisals, and professional development of staff.
- Act as principal spokesperson/liaison, and advocate with the media, farmers/producers, and other organizations, outside vendors, partners, and government agencies.
- Promote and advance FRESHFARM’s mission and vision, and assure the organization keeps pace with marketplace and regulatory developments
- 7-10+ years of experience in an integral, senior operational role leading and managing teams to tangible outcomes; Master’s degree preferred;
- Demonstrated success managing organizational dynamics and behavior including change management; non-profit management experience a strong plus;
- Knowledge of sustainable food, related systems, public education or similar fields preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to inspire, mentor and effectively lead and manage staff, fostering a positive culture of collaboration, transparency, team building and professional development;
- Demonstrated ability to secure grants, steward individual donors, successfully drive fundraising , and engage the Board in fundraising efforts;
- Excellent interpersonal, networking, conflict resolution and communication skills
- Capacity to both design and build protocols for organizational success;
- Strong organizational financial acumen, attention to detail and a successful track record of financial management;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; technical/software proficiency (skill in use of social media, a plus)
- Unquestioned professional and personal ethical standards and integrity
This is a full-time, exempt position which involves occasional work on weekends and evenings. The compensation package includes a competitive salary, workers’ compensation coverage, earned sick leave, and paid vacation and holidays. Healthcare benefits are provided after a three-month probationary period.
Please send a cover letter and resume to FRESHFARM ED Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org and include “FF ED Position” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please include a statement about your experience in change management and how your experience is relevant to the organization.
All applications must be received by July 31st, 2017. All correspondence and submissions are to be sent via email. Please be prepared to have references submitted upon request.
FRESHFARM is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.